• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Noob question - choosing a rom/kernel

skiflyer

Dec 17, 2011
Chicago
I'm rooted, unlocked, clockworked, 4.0.4 radios, and using a new launcher. I think that means I've done a good chunk of the "hard" part. (None of it's really too hard on this phone).

Now I want to tinker with 4.0.4 so I'm looking to find a ROM and a Kernel... think that's all I need, right?

Leaves me with 2 questions
1) How do you guys pick'm? Just tinker and play around until you find one you like?

2) No matter how much I read I can't figure out how onerous switching is going to be after the fact, maybe I just don't understand the different wipes. Easy enough to put on a new Kernel/Rom it seems. But I can't seem to figure out the answers to the below and whether this happens everytime you change a Kernel/Rom, only when you change between types, or never?

- Do I need to redownload all my apps afterwards? (even if it's automatic, do I have to wait and chew up the bandwidth)
- Do I lose things like SMS histories?
- Icon layouts (I now I can back those up and restore, but am I going to need to?)
- All my contacts are google so I should be good there I assume, am I right?
- What about application configurations - e.g., my email servers, evernote login information, etc.

Well I took the leap last night when I couldn't sleep. Liquidsmooth ROM and LeanKernel.

Lost more than I wanted to, but not too much. Definitely will need to figure some things out if I do it again.

Biggest thing was I took too long to turn off 4g so I Titanium was racing the play store for reinstalling apps. Anyway, just posting to say thanks for the tips.

Upvote 0
+1 ^^

After a new rom or data wipe, I open market and stop the download. Then I search for TIBU and the TIBU pro key and install them, open TIBU and tap the menu icon, choose "batch" and "restore all apps with data". Then I uncheck the ones I don't want. Do not restore any red or green items if you've swapped roms or updated android versions (like 4.02 > 4.05).

Reactions: gapi and skiflyer
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones