• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Not a problem?

Some have reported that the alternate home apps like open home, dx top, panda home, etc caused there moments to enter the bootloop. Meaning the phone had to be hard reset. The first time I got the boot up loop, I did have panda home installed but the 2nd time it happened to me, I learned it wasn't panda home that got me. Both of my boot loops were caused by the app called "quick profiles". As soon as i clicked on the picture I wanted to use for my profile, I got an error message and even when I hit force close, it popped back up each time. I was forced to turn off the phone and turn it back on both times. Problem is, it would not fully start back up afterward, it just kept repeating the android/samsung boot screen over and over.

I would back up all my files before using one of those alternate homes. Also, if you currently have not updated your phone to the cl14 firmware, I'd do that too because you wil be able to hard reset on that update unlike the cj05. My phone had to be replaced after the 1st boot loop because there was no way to hard reset it. The new phone they gave me had cl14 already on it so I was able to hard reset when I had the samsung boot loop.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
LOVE DXTOP...

They worked in a few basic features without killing the phone's performance. You can also disable it very quickly if you want your 'standard home experience' instead.

The included features I use regularly are:
Screen capture: simply press the camera button and it saves the screen image to the SD card
Slide unlock: Much more fun that just pressing the menu key.
Task Slider: The tab on the right shows the last used and currently used programs.

Overall, very reliable and simple. I have gotten a few force closes (that are supposedly fixed with 1.6+) but I don't mind that much since it just reverts back to the standard home screen in case of shutdown.

Upvote 0
Ok I got DxTop. It's probably the best replacement. Yes, it is a pirated copy.

When I had GDE, it would FC every time I got a Handcent popup. It restarted fast, but I got tired of it, and the UI is kind of bulky.

I had Open Home but uninstalled it because I wasn't using it to it's full potential and that made it slightly boring.

I had PandaHome, but I didn't like the way the tabs were.

My only dislike about DxTop is the poor selection of free themes.

When 2.1 releases, I'll probably just go back to the normal home if we get Live Wallpapers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones