• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Note 2: Blank SD Card or unsupported files??

adolphi

Lurker
Feb 21, 2012
Hey All!
This forum has been a great resource for me before, and so I thought I'd try it again. I have a Galaxy Note 2 (which I really love), but have been getting periodic notification messages in the last 3 days saying "Blank SD card or has unsupported files", and when I click notification, a popup asks if I want to "Format SD Card? warning that "all data on card will be lost" (and so I just cancel out of it). I don't get this message all the time (sometimes I see a notification that the SD card is formatting, and then Blank SD icon/notification goes away). Any advice on what I need to do here? Do I need to get a new SD card? I have run Lookout scan and it seems phone does not have virus/malware. And the Blanks SD card icon/notification goes away at random times, so I'm confused? Thanks for your help, I appreciate the support!!! -Adolphi

Hey All!
This forum has been a great resource for me before, and so I thought I'd try it again. I have a Galaxy Note 2 (which I really love), but have been getting periodic notification messages in the last 3 days saying "Blank SD card or has unsupported files", and when I click notification, a popup asks if I want to "Format SD Card? warning that "all data on card will be lost" (and so I just cancel out of it). I don't get this message all the time (sometimes I see a notification that the SD card is formatting, and then Blank SD icon/notification goes away). Any advice on what I need to do here? Do I need to get a new SD card? I have run Lookout scan and it seems phone does not have virus/malware. And the Blanks SD card icon/notification goes away at random times, so I'm confused? Thanks for your help, I appreciate the support!!! -Adolphi

Hello Adolphi. I'm a fan of checking out sd cards on a friend's device (if I am certain there is no rogue software/virus involved, and with Android we can be pretty sure of that ;)). If it behaves the same, then I know it's replacement time for that card. Gotta be the same device, or at least the same genre on the same OS.

Another option is to just go ahead and get a new sd card.. they're not cheap, but very good ones are affordable and it's a great way to get a handle on the situation. I would not backup the old card in either situation, out of fear of importing the issue back onto the new card when restoring from backup.

Upvote 0
Hey All!

What I personally would do is backup all the files on the sd, go in and format the sd through my phone, and then place the files back onto the phone.

Keep in mind, that's up to you if you want to go that route, but that's just how my train of thought would go for a situation like that.

Upvote 0
Definitely Back that Card up now. I had that happen to me just about 2 months ago. I would get those same periodic error messages and all of a sudden it stopped. At that time, I went ahead and backed up my card, but kept using it. So a week or so ago, the card crapped out in the middle of taking pictures at my kids field day for school. EVERYTHING GONE! CARD TRASH. I tried everything under the sun but could not recover anything. Thankfully I only lost 2 months worth of pictures/music downloaded that I didn't back up. Moral to the story is, go buy a new card, and back up everything on that other card asap!

Upvote 0
Hi I'm a bit new to this but I will try, I seem to be having the same problem with the sd card but I have tried 3 different types and all of them blank sd so I have followed the instructions that the phone said and still nothing anyone have ideas please

Just some preliminary questions. 1) Where did you purchase the card? 2) What size? 3) Have you already placed files on the card? 4) Are all those files playing/working properly?

Upvote 0
I've tried a 1gb, 4gb and a 16gb card. I had used those cards many times in various different phones and never had a problem and can't remember where I had purchased them from and I haven't managed to put any files from the sd card onto the phone as it won't read it

And have you formatted the sd, while in the phone? Or is it not identifying the sd at all?

Upvote 0
It's just music, games and videos from apps.

ok, but are they set to save to the sd? To test, connect the phone to the cpu, set as media connection, and move a mp3 over. If the mp3 sticks and you can see it on your phone, then you don't have any of your music, games, or videos saving to the micro sd.

Keep in mind, kit kat changed the ability to save to sd.

Reactions: Prepaidguy9081
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones