• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Now that Froyo isn't coming to Eris....

I am disappointed that I bought this phone in November and six months later, EOL. We are stuck for two years. If Verizon continues to lock people into 2 year commitments, they ought fulfill their end of the deal or allow us to upgrade to another device at 2 year contract rates without an extension.

That being said, rooting and overclocking has breathed new life into my phone. But as another poster stated, it should not be necessary.
Amen. I bought mine in February of this year!

Perhaps this is why they changed the upgrade cycle to 20 months? I also had a CSR tell me that I was eligible for an upgrade in January 2011 (?) I assume this is for a higher price?

Upvote 0
Amen. I bought mine in February of this year!

Perhaps this is why they changed the upgrade cycle to 20 months? I also had a CSR tell me that I was eligible for an upgrade in January 2011 (?) I assume this is for a higher price?

I didn't know that they changed the policy. If they did, 4 moths is piecemeal. If you can upgrade in 2011, I would assume you'd have to pay more.

Upvote 0
If Verizon continues to lock people into 2 year commitments, they ought fulfill their end of the deal or allow us to upgrade to another device at 2 year contract rates without an extension.

+1. Say what you will about the iPhone - Apple has continued to provide OS updates for longer than two years from the phone's introduction.

Saying that, Verizon is supporting the Eris - they just aren't going to bother OS updating it.

BTW, the "new every two" has been 20 months for many years now. My last two phones were eligible at the 20 month mark (though I did the Eris at the 24 month point last December), so that goes back to April 2006, and it's possible that it was earlier than that.

Upvote 0
Other then the ability to handle adhoc networks I don't see any real advantage to 2.2 right now. We don't have the horsepower to utilize many of the features other then to say we have them.

You could always head over to Sprint and pay them and extra $10/mo for a 4G phone even though there is no 4G in your area and won't be for years.

You could head to AT&T and have a 2G limit or pay thru the arse for a substandard iPhone (adhoc network also btw)

You could head to T-Mobile and have service depending on if your side of the street has any service that specific time of day.

I will just putter along with my rooted Eris with a custom ROM and be a happy camper that I spent a whole .01 at Amazon Wireless for it.

Are you using a 2.1 ROM?
I can't speak towards "Official" Froyo, but my Tazz/Froyo rooted Eris is faster, gets better signal, and better battery life than it did on 2.1

That's my personal experience at least, YMMV as the Eris can be a fickle little thing :cool:

Upvote 0
+1. Say what you will about the iPhone - Apple has continued to provide OS updates for longer than two years from the phone's introduction.

Saying that, Verizon is supporting the Eris - they just aren't going to bother OS updating it.

BTW, the "new every two" has been 20 months for many years now. My last two phones were eligible at the 20 month mark (though I did the Eris at the 24 month point last December), so that goes back to April 2006, and it's possible that it was earlier than that.

Definitely agree with you on that one. The one good thing about Apple's exclusive OS approach, is that they can keep their devices up to date as long as possible. Its pretty easy when you have had only a few devices in 3 years.

Upvote 0
I am seriously considering going back to Sprint. I haven't checked out their Android phones, or even if that carry them, but the 4G and cheaper data plan is very attractive. I chose to switch to Verizon to get the better network and cell reception, but so far the negatives have outweighed the positives .. sad to say. :eek:

if you didn't know, verizon has confirmed tiered data plans sometime in the near future. 4gs going to be spotty and cost extra anyway, so it doesn't excite me in the least.

also verizon really isn't responsible for updating the eris. thats HTC's job. I'm not too upset about 2.2, because it doesn't really get us anything *major* Even apple has stops supporting some older devices ( see iOS 4.1). if we were talking about 2.0 it would be a different story.

Upvote 0
First off HTC stopped the upgrades from coming to us not Verizon...

Secondly, I like how everyone keeps mentioning T-Mobile even though they have been placed on the 2011 Death Watch List with Radioshack and Blockbuster. They might have a saving grace since they signed Walmart Wireless to use their network... :rolleyes: Either carrier will still have the same crappy network though.

I love my rooted OC Eris with 2.2. It does a few fun things and makes calls. I couldn't ask a PHONE to do more. :D Will I upgrade when it comes time? Of coarse! I do love shiny new technology that fits in my pockets. :cool: Overall I will stick with Verizon since they have given me the least amount of trouble out of all the carrier networks.

Upvote 0
It does suck that there are no more upgrades and that is why I did finally decide to root. Nothing to lose out on now and I'm happy that I did.

We did buy the cheaper and less powerful Droid phone though. It is common sense that is isn't going to stand up with the rest and would be the first Droid phone to not received anymore updates. The Droid has a 550Mhz processor but those are being over clocked to 1Gz. My Eris locks up immediately if I go above 710Mhz. It is an entry level smartphone.

Upvote 0
Am i unhappy that HTC & Verizon dropped any further updates for the Eris... really 1 reason - the send as slideshow bug in the July patch for 2.1. Thankfully it seems all the phones i've sent pics to can handle it. Overall it really doesn't bug me that 2.2 will never get an official release for the Eris.

I think Verizon sees the Eris as a big mistake in their Droid lineup and thats why it EOLd early, based on so many complaints it had. I'm one of the lucky users thats gotten a solid Eris. It's really underpowered for what HTC loaded on it, ie SenseUI.
I think what HTC did with the Eris was sloppy. The July patch's slideshow bug is a good example of sloppy QA.

But with that said xtrSense proved that with the right tweaks it can be a solid phone. Just sad i needed to root my phone to get the most out of it. For me personally it doesn't bother, but those like my wife, who just want a solid phone out of the box, the Eris really was a dissapointment.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind the main reason the Eris was EOL'ed so early, Sales. The Motorola Droid outsold the Eris at least 3 to 1. When something isn't selling companies tend to ditch it. HTC was ready with a replacement model in the Incredible. The Incredible has been so popular that Verizon has had a tough time keeping the phone in stock.

As for the Eris not receiving updates, quite frankly there is nothing in the phone contract that states you will receive any updates. I remember when when you got a smart phone there was no updating (See any windows mobile phone for an example of this.. very few have ever been upgraded off the OS it originally shipped with). It has taken KF around 35 versions now to get the rom running pretty well. HTC isn't going to put this time into a phone (once again) that isn't selling. They focused on the beasts that are the Incredible and the EVO that are flying off the shelves, not to mention the 10 other phones they are bringing out or have slated to come out very shortly. 10 might be an exaggeration.

I tend to view the Eris as adopting HD-DVD when it first came out. It was fantastic but ultimately it wasn't what the masses wanted and in today's market the masses control what we buy.

Overall both my wife (Droid Eris running KF v34) and I (Motorola Droid UD8) are quite happy with what we have paid for and what we have received.

Upvote 0
Personally, I am a tad disappointed. Whether it's HTC or Verizon that had decided not to update Eris is 2.2 is neither here or there. I truly feel that while under contract, your devices should be supported. However, I do realize as other have mentioned that there was likely no way of knowing that within a year the Android OS would be continuously updated.

I love my Eris. It's been a tad buggy of late. But I won't root because I don't want to void my warranty. I will live with 2.1 until my contract is up and I can get a new phone in fall, 2011. I refuse to pay out of pocket for the newest, latest, greatest..

But I really do believe that companies who either manufacture or sell these smart phones are going to have to follow a similar model to Apple: supporting the device longer than 6 months. Now that the OS updates should be slowing down, it would behoove Android Phone manufacturers and distributors to offer support on the device until the end of your contract term. I think this would help re-establish faith in the service of our cell carriers.

Personally, I have not found better reception with any other carrier. So I will likely stay with Verizon. I just think they should become a little more sensitive to customers now that the OS updates should decrease to one a year.

This is just my humble opinion.

Upvote 0
Personally, I am a tad disappointed. Whether it's HTC or Verizon that had decided not to update Eris is 2.2 is neither here or there. I truly feel that while under contract, your devices should be supported. However, I do realize as other have mentioned that there was likely no way of knowing that within a year the Android OS would be continuously updated.

I love my Eris. It's been a tad buggy of late. But I won't root because I don't want to void my warranty. I will live with 2.1 until my contract is up and I can get a new phone in fall, 2011. I refuse to pay out of pocket for the newest, latest, greatest..

But I really do believe that companies who either manufacture or sell these smart phones are going to have to follow a similar model to Apple: supporting the device longer than 6 months. Now that the OS updates should be slowing down, it would behoove Android Phone manufacturers and distributors to offer support on the device until the end of your contract term. I think this would help re-establish faith in the service of our cell carriers.

Personally, I have not found better reception with any other carrier. So I will likely stay with Verizon. I just think they should become a little more sensitive to customers now that the OS updates should decrease to one a year.

This is just my humble opinion.

The phones are supported if you have any type of issue where the phone malfunctions during the warranty period Verizon will take measures to replace or whatever they might do in your case. OS upgrades are not actually support, they are updating features of the phone. When you buy the phone you don't know what the future may hold for that particular phone. When the Eris was released Froyo wasn't a blip on the radar (at least to the general public). There was no way for HTC or Verizon to predict that this OS would be out and would be compatible with your phone. To expect a carrier or phone manufacturer to be able to provide OS upgrades for the life of a 2 year contract is impossible. With the upcoming specs of Gingerbread over 50% of the phones in the market (I am talking all carriers) won't meet them.

As to Apple still supporting their phones after 6 months, Apple also manufacturers their own phones. Google does not (the Nexus One was made by HTC) and Apple has released OS software that is not completely compatible with a previous phone that is still under contract. The 3G version of the phone sold through late 2009 which means if you bought one during 2009 you are still under a 2 year contract and iOS4 isn't completely supported on this phone.

Upvote 0
The phones are supported if you have any type of issue where the phone malfunctions during the warranty period Verizon will take measures to replace or whatever they might do in your case. OS upgrades are not actually support, they are updating features of the phone. When you buy the phone you don't know what the future may hold for that particular phone. When the Eris was released Froyo wasn't a blip on the radar (at least to the general public). There was no way for HTC or Verizon to predict that this OS would be out and would be compatible with your phone. To expect a carrier or phone manufacturer to be able to provide OS upgrades for the life of a 2 year contract is impossible. With the upcoming specs of Gingerbread over 50% of the phones in the market (I am talking all carriers) won't meet them.

As to Apple still supporting their phones after 6 months, Apple also manufacturers their own phones. Google does not (the Nexus One was made by HTC) and Apple has released OS software that is not completely compatible with a previous phone that is still under contract. The 3G version of the phone sold through late 2009 which means if you bought one during 2009 you are still under a 2 year contract and iOS4 isn't completely supported on this phone.

True about Apple. No, I realize that updates are not supported and that they would have had no way of knowing that OS updates would occur like this. However, I think in the future it would be *Great* if they did support the updates until end of contract. However, like you say, Verizon does not manufacture their own phones. I'm just verbalizing my update wishlist. :p

Upvote 0
Am i unhappy that HTC & Verizon dropped any further updates for the Eris... really 1 reason - the send as slideshow bug in the July patch for 2.1. Thankfully it seems all the phones i've sent pics to can handle it.

This was the last straw in a long line of complaints that prompted Verizon to offer me any phone I wanted in exchange for the Eris I had. I went from having no complaints in my nearly 10 year history with Verizon, to complaining every month or two about something being wrong with the damn Eris.

The slideshow bug especially pissed me off--I tried for two months to get support from HTC, and they gave me 3 different stories and excuses as to why they didn't have to fix it, or why it "isn't broken," from 3 different reps...a combination of ignorance and lies:
1. The phone always worked that way even in Android 1.5, so there's nothing to fix,
2. Yes, we changed that in the July update, but it's intentional so there's nothing to fix,
3. That's not our fault, Google made the change in 2.1, we really have no idea why you didn't notice it until MR4, but it's not our fault so we're not fixing it.

At the end of August, after filing a complaint with the BBB, Danty from the Escalations Department had informed me that HTC had no intention of fixing any remaining known bugs, including this one. HTC made the decision to stop supporting the phone at least a month before Verizon confirmed it. ...it was after my BBB complaint that Verizon stepped in to help me out.

For me, the bug was more than just a nuisance: I lost the ability to send pictures to the friends I sent them to the most often. HTC's response was that they're too lazy to fix it, so I should just "get a 3rd party app like Handcent" and "your friends' phones are obviously too old," even though they could get pictures from the Eris before the update. Funny that those "too old phones" can get pictures from my shiny new Droid 2 right now. I found the lack of support to be highly offensive for the problem HTC caused, and certainly a greater problem than the bug itself.

I'd never buy another HTC product after the ridiculously poor level of support. I filed an FCC complaint over the slideshow bug (before Verizon made the exchange for me--but I'm not the type to be selfish and lazy and let it drop now, when others like you are still experiencing the problem)--it's not legal for a company to sell you one feature, and then change it to a lesser feature after they've got your money, and it's certainly not legal for a company to break a core feature and not fix it.

You may not be entitled to Froyo, but you are certainly entitled to have the features you paid for, and to have them in working order. MMS is a core function of any cell phone, so HTC can't just break it on a whim and leave it broken. If you have any interest in seeing your phone fixed and not letting HTC get away with this behavior, I'd urge you to file an FCC complaint over the same issue as well.

There's nothing like the fist of government to force a company to get its act together--and if more people complain, there's a higher likelihood that the FCC will act. Additionally, just a little bit of time on your part will ensure HTC wastes resources listening to you, and in turn they'll learn their lesson that it's a bigger waste of resources to dick over their customers than to put those resources into fixing the problems when they crop up next time.

Upvote 0

First of all, iOS 4.1 is completely compatible - but all of the features do not work. I am sure that's what you meant.

Also, iPhone 3G users who purchased their phone have received 8-9 OS updates in that time. And, if they choose not to upgrade to iOS 4.x, they still receive updates to iOS 3.x.

Again, say what you will about Apple, for whatever the reason, they are supporting their iPhones far better than Android handset makers are supporting theirs.

Upvote 0
To leave Verizon over not getting an update?
Phone's go out of style so fast, just root and be happy with what the phone is capable of. I personally have "Official" Froyo and trust me you are not missing out. The stability build quality of the Eris, allllmost beats the speed of the Incredible.

Upvote 0
Skipping to a new tune here. You probably won't get FroYo, actually, it's been confirmed you won't. Don't hold your breath for Gingerbread through an official release either.

But remember I mentioned that Gingerbread would require certain specifications? Wrong. They were rumors, and hopefully I reported and quoted them as such. Most likely, it will not require anything special.

So the Eris may not get it through VZW, but it will most likely be ported over in a source-built ROM.

The minimum specifications discussion is regarding Honeycomb, and again, these are just rumors. Honeycomb will most likely be the first version of Android optimized for tablets, so requirements may be necessary. But not now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones