• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wholeheartedly agree that VZW is completely botching this release. phone was announced in Oct, and it's ready to go now. while there may be "corporate reasons" for not releasing, i fail to see any reason for completely bungling the flow of info.

but, let's not confuse this situation with that of the Bionic. the Bionic fiasco was all on Moto. It announced the Etna at CES, but then had to scrap that device because of problems with the device. It then just took the Targa (another phone already in production and already slated for Q3 release), gave it the Bionic name, and then released in Sept. here, we have a different scenario - the phone is ready to go, but it is VZW holding up the release.

Upvote 0
Legal localized monopolies (at least for Comcast). If you want internet above 10mbps and you're in a Comcast area, you almost always have 0 other choices. It's really unfortunate.
The other choice in my area is, ironically enough, Verizon Fios.... but its on every street around here besides mine!! :mad: I hate comcast for their crappy... everything and hate Verizon for being... Verizon

Upvote 0
Back to my HTC rental plans. I have to purchase it online (business/government account). How do returns work online? Does the first device have to be mailed back before the next device can be ordered? Just wondering if I put myself in a really bad position for the Gnex if I rent a Rezound.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that when I did something like this they mail you the other phone and once you receive the new phone you have 5 days to get the other phone back to them.

Upvote 0
I am going to finish what I am doing at work and go to lunch, Taco Tuesday, have a couple of cancer sticks and hopefully when I get back Steven would have posted his info up. No rash reactions till I hear all the info
The only problem I see with that action is, that you will have to dig through 20 pages of post to keep up.;)

Upvote 0
So I've been lurking for a few weeks. I don't have any important news, but was wondering if anyone can answer a question. I am traveling on business and would really like to upgrade NOW. I really want the GNEX, but was thinking of trying out the Razr. If I purchase a phone while out of town can I return it to my local store when the gnex comes out? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

So long as you pick it up from a corporate store and not one of the "authorized reseller" stores, you should be fine returning it to any corporate store in the country. Naturally, you can phone Verizon to confirm this.

Reactions: gandj1998
Upvote 0
I trust no one, but it's not looking good for a Thursday release. Verizon should at least prepare us by Tuesday for a Thursday release for such a big phone...maybe....i dont know...im going to cry

VZW always does this. I think the "official" Bionic announcement was the day before it went on sale. Like lots of people have said, if they announced it last week, it might cut into their RAZR or Rezound sales. Announcing it the day before means no one was "waiting" for it. At least to their thinking.

Upvote 0
Granted, I'm not in the same situation as you (with a dying phone), but here is why I will not give in and pick up either the Rezound or Razr:

What if Verizon, in its infinite wisdom, delays the phone even further...beyond the 1/9/12 deadline for returning? Then what? I'm stuck with a phone I don't want for 2 years. As irritated as I am with this whole cluster-you-know-what, I'm still gonna tough it out. If I were in your shoes, I'd be calling my sister to send me one of her hand-me-downs so I would have it on hand to last me until whenever this phone finally comes out.

If they delay it beyond 1/9/2012, just return the phone and go back to whatever you're using now.

I'm more concerned about damaging the phone while I have it. My wife accidentally dunked her Bionic in a little bit of water, and now the camera lens is fogged up and the ear speaker is a little jacked up. Anyone ever had any good luck getting warranty work/replacement if the moisture sensor is tripped?

Upvote 0
With the way most of you are talking, I actually feel bad for Verizon. They are in a no win situation with everyone. If the Nexus has a radio or software issue and they release it everyone would be angry that they didn't fix the problems before release (happens every time there is a problem). If there is a supply problem then everyone would be angry that "that other guy" got one and they didn't which would make them blame Verizon for a lack of inventory. If they hold off the release to solve a problem then they are blamed for trying to sell other phones. They can't win.

They can win. How about they come out and tell everyone honestly what going on. Even if it's something along the lines of:

"We are currently experiencing issues with the Galaxy Nexus during testing. We aim to get this resolved within the next X days, we will update you on the X of November."

There we go, wasn't so hard was it. People understand there can be issues with phone releases, just man up, tell everyone what the issue is, and you'll have a much happier customer base.

Upvote 0
VZW always does this. I think the "official" Bionic announcement was the day before it went on sale. Like lots of people have said, if they announced it last week, it might cut into their RAZR or Rezound sales. Announcing it the day before means no one was "waiting" for it. At least to their thinking.

Agreed.
Knowing this, I'm not gonna hit the panic button unless Monday passes with still no news. Then I'll panic.

Upvote 0
No one here seems to be interpreting the "Corporate reasons" as meaning "corporate reasons for not being transparent about launch plans and timeline for this phone" and that Steven is saying the source confirmed it's launching Thursday in a silent and sudden unadvertised fashion. The corporate reasons are related to why this is being handled so oddly rather than a normal hard launch with lots of advertising like the first two.

Upvote 0
I understand the angst and displeasure with the lack of a release date. However, I would personally prefer that they take the time to get the phone right instead of releasing it half-assed and forcing me to deal with additional bugs, waiting for fixes to be rolled out, etc. I have had my Dinc since it came out, an extra couple of weeks is not going to break me. My birthday is 12/16, if I can get a GNex in my grubby hands by then, I should be able to avoid having a stroke without too much effort.

The_waiting_game_logo.jpg

Upvote 0
Well, google/samsung did say in the launch conference the phone would be out in the US in November, they just didn't say on which carrier. Doesn't look like any other carrier will have it this month. So, really, while technically it should be google/samsung with egg on its face if it doesn't come out, Verizon's strategy of not committing to the same time frame is not going to save them from the wrath of customers.

Upvote 0
They can win. How about they come out and tell everyone honestly what going on. Even if it's something along the lines of:

"We are currently experiencing issues with the Galaxy Nexus during testing. We aim to get this resolved within the next X days, we will update you on the X of November."

There we go, wasn't so hard was it. People understand there can be issues with phone releases, just man up, tell everyone what the issue is, and you'll have a much happier customer base.

I imagine that they don't want to undermine confidence in the product and have people thinking that it's the Bionic all over again.

Upvote 0
Why do we trust Steven's source. Wasn't it 2 days ago that they "confirmed" the 17th? I feel like they are just as in the know as any of us. Maybe they are basing their knowledge off of P3. Its the same information....

I don't recall ever seeing a positive confirmation from The Source of the 17th. I recall seeing only "this is what I have heard, and I haven't heard anything to contradict that". The source has no control over corporate changes that take place in release schedules. I don't think it's fair to distrust Steven's source over something they have no control over, when they are willingly sharing the info they do have with us when they get it - potentially to their own detriment. Cut 'em some slack.

Upvote 0
No one here seems to be interpreting the "Corporate reasons" as meaning "corporate reasons for not being transparent about launch plans and timeline for this phone" and that Steven is saying the source confirmed it's launching Thursday in a silent and sudden unadvertised fashion. The corporate reasons are related to why this is being handled so oddly rather than a normal hard launch with lots of advertising like the first two.

i pray to god you are correct on that

Upvote 0

But, when someone asks what day your party is...and it's still the same day you told them two days ago, you don't give them a reason that it's the same, even if you haven't invited anyone else yet.

Metaphor

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones