• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even somewhat old builds are buggy as all get out on new devices, ie. Bionic. Which should be a great example for all of us that great hardware doesn't make the phone run smoothly out of the box. Just like others, I expect bugs, anyone who doesn't is being entirely too close minded. Either way, I think with a pure vanilla device, it'll be a lot easier for Google and devs to figure out what's causing the bugs and to create a work around or for google to come up with a patch quickly to fix the problem(s). Throw blur, sense, or touchwiz on top of ICS and then there's a whole list of other problems that could come up that we may never see with the prime.

I definitely agree with your post here. ICS on vanilla android is (or at least should be) a definite advantage. My DX2 has really good hardware, with buggy moto software and no BL unlock to change it. The Bionic is really a very smooth phone overall, but it does have motoblur gumming things up. All things being equal, having vanilla android with ICS is a big advantage for the prime.

Upvote 0
of the specs given this am, wouldn't you guys think these 6 are the ones that could be wrong??? The others seem pretty likely. I like the idea of 4 of these 6 changing, if that's the case...

1) 9mm thin
2) 4.65-inch 1280 x 720-pixel Super AMOLED HD with curved glass
3) TI OMAP 4460 dual-core Cortex A9 processor clocked at 1.2GHz
4) 32GB of built-in storage
5) 5-megapixel camera on the back, 1.3-megapixel in the front
6) 1,750 mAh battery

these are the specs given that I would bet are correct...

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
1GB of RAM
1080p HD video capture support
LTE/HSPA depending on carrier
Wi-Fi a/b/g/n
NFC

Just an opinion...what do you guys think???

I think that the processor was wrong, the camera was wrong, the battery was wrong and possibly the storage. If VZ_Wired was counting the camera as two seperate things that were incorrect, then I would say the camera (2) was wrong, the processor and the battery. That would be four things that were incorrect about BGR's story.

Reactions: coach26
Upvote 0
Hello everyone. Long time stalker of these forums, first time poster here. I'm one of the many iPhone uers (since launch day 2007) who was extremely dissapointed with Apple's pathetic 4S announcement and am tired of being spoon fed "new featuers" that have been out on other phones for years. Finally ready to make the jump to android.

I'm extremely picky when it comes to UI smoothness since I have been spoiled with iOS, which is what has kept me from switching a long time ago. After playing with the SGSII with the Exynos processor inside, I can finally say android is competitive (if not supperior) in the UI smoothness department (finally!!). My other dilema has been refusal to buy another phone on any other carrier than Verizon since LTE is the future and everyone else is dragging ass on building out their network. It also doesn't help that I live in the sticks and Verizon is the only one with good coverage in my area, although I have been getting by with AT&T (we FINALLY got 3G like 6 months ago... pathetic I know)

Like many on this thread, I was ready to murder anyone wearing red and black when I got the news the function was scrapped and Verizon was passing on a SGSII which lead me to folllowing this thread. So far, definitely a day one buyer no matter the specs, but don't understand the reasoning on some of the rumors.

From what I have gathered, the rumor of it using the OMAP 4460 proc was from early development of ICS and something about it being written based around that processor. I just don't understand why Samsung would choose this processor instead of using one of their own in house Exynos processors which I'm sure they could supply cheaper since they produce them. I have played around a lot with the Bionic, and I'm sorry Bionic owners, but it flat out sucks. Typical Android UI lagginess because the OMAP processor sucks. Read any mobile processor benchmark testing review and you will see that Exynos spanks everything. I believe the 4460, even if clocked at 1.5ghz, will be a downgrade from the 4410 at 1.2Ghz(proc in SGSII). Why would samsung pay more money for a OMAP 4460 when they could use the Exynos 4410? I know that reports are stating the 1.5Ghz Exynos 4412 will not start sampling until Q4 2011, but that is for 3rd party devices not Samsung. Also, if the SGSII HD LTE already is using the 4412, why couldnt the Prime? There are hands on videos of the SGSII HD LTE with the 4412 in it.

I will personally be extremely let down if this device has any type of OMAP processor in it, no matter what it is clocked at. I would even take the Exynos 4410 clocked down to 1Ghz over any OMAP, even if clocked over 1.5ghz. clockrate means nothing, just look at the early days of the AMD intel battles where AMD wiped the floor with intel even when they were clocked sometimes close to twice the clockrate.

I think (more like hoping I guess) that the prime will have the same specs as the Korean SGSII HD LTE, which has the Exynos 4412 clocked at 1.5Ghz, 1GB Ram, 720p Super Amoled HD (pentile unfortunately), 16Gb onboard storage, and an 1850mAh battery. As for the SD expansion slot? I would hope Google/Samsung would have learned from their mistake of leaving it out of the Nexus S, but who knows. It just makes since for Samsung to mass produce devices with the same components to save on costs. Why add a 3rd party OMAP processor to the mix? Guess we will find out Tuesday!!

Welcome tbrindisi,

I know what you're talking about, but I'm afraid your conclusions are not based on good proofs.

BIONIC has a lot of crap installed, especially Blur, or what it is called, which just additionally slows down the system. You know, OMAP is one of the strongest SoCs on the world. I had an OMAP od my Milestone, and withoud any OS skins it's just fine.

You see, it just depends on some crappy apps preinstalled by manufacturer. And Nexus will not have it, it'll be pure Android, vanilla, right guys?! ;)

Reactions: tbrindisi
Upvote 0
Certain people still think megapixels matter. Newsflash, they don't.

A 5MP camera can produce a 2592x1944 image, and an 8.1"x6.1" printed photograph at 320dpi.

Planning on printing posters?

I know this.

People outside of tech-speak don't. Their's a drastic difference between 5 and 8 to them. See the fuss around the iPhone 4's 5 MP camera and the consumer wanting 8 regardless of the picture quality being better than some 8 MP cameras.

Upvote 0
I have played around a lot with the Bionic, and I'm sorry Bionic owners, but it flat out sucks. Typical Android UI lagginess because the OMAP processor sucks. Read any mobile processor benchmark testing review and you will see that Exynos spanks everything. I believe the 4460, even if clocked at 1.5ghz, will be a downgrade from the 4410 at 1.2Ghz(proc in SGSII).

Judge not the OMAP4 based on the Bionic.. its a catastrophe of a phone combined with a poorly written UI.

Google probably selected OMAP4 as the reference for ICS before Samsung was selected to build it.. LG and HTC were both competing to build it..

Upvote 0
well, Kellex is claiming that the camera is really and truly 5 mp. he also says that it is a vastly improved camera. Galaxy Nexus Will Have a Notification Light and Amazing Camera – Ice Cream Sandwich Updating on the Daily - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

he acknowledges that he hasn't been given specific info on the front camera, battery mAh, or internal storage. so, maybe those are 3 of the 4 inaccuracies.

as a side note, supposedly it will come with multi-colored LED lights on the bottom chin.

Upvote 0
Like many on this thread, I was ready to murder anyone wearing red and black when I got the news the function was scrapped and Verizon was passing on a SGSII which lead me to folllowing this thread. So far, definitely a day one buyer no matter the specs, but don't understand the reasoning on some of the rumors.

From what I have gathered, the rumor of it using the OMAP 4460 proc was from early development of ICS and something about it being written based around that processor. I just don't understand why Samsung would choose this processor instead of using one of their own in house Exynos processors which I'm sure they could supply cheaper since they produce them. I have played around a lot with the Bionic, and I'm sorry Bionic owners, but it flat out sucks. Typical Android UI lagginess because the OMAP processor sucks. Read any mobile processor benchmark testing review and you will see that Exynos spanks everything. I believe the 4460, even if clocked at 1.5ghz, will be a downgrade from the 4410 at 1.2Ghz(proc in SGSII). Why would samsung pay more money for a OMAP 4460 when they could use the Exynos 4410? I know that reports are stating the 1.5Ghz Exynos 4412 will not start sampling until Q4 2011, but that is for 3rd party devices not Samsung. Also, if the SGSII HD LTE already is using the 4412, why couldnt the Prime? There are hands on videos of the SGSII HD LTE with the 4412 in it.

I will personally be extremely let down if this device has any type of OMAP processor in it, no matter what it is clocked at. I would even take the Exynos 4410 clocked down to 1Ghz over any OMAP, even if clocked over 1.5ghz. clockrate means nothing, just look at the early days of the AMD intel battles where AMD wiped the floor with intel even when they were clocked sometimes close to twice the clockrate.

I think (more like hoping I guess) that the prime will have the same specs as the Korean SGSII HD LTE, which has the Exynos 4412 clocked at 1.5Ghz, 1GB Ram, 720p Super Amoled HD (pentile unfortunately), 16Gb onboard storage, and an 1850mAh battery. As for the SD expansion slot? I would hope Google/Samsung would have learned from their mistake of leaving it out of the Nexus S, but who knows. It just makes since for Samsung to mass produce devices with the same components to save on costs. Why add a 3rd party OMAP processor to the mix? Guess we will find out Tuesday!!

Very nice first post and I'm impressed by your knowledge on ARM processors on android since you are coming from Apple camp. Very very few my my apple loving friends know that much about that.

Like you I'd be extremely delighted to see Exynos in Prime instead of OMAP4. But for some reason, Google selected OMAP4 as reference AP for ICS and Samsung had to stick with it for Prime. OMAP4 is no slouch either and it's close second to Exynos in performance. Bionic is hampered by Blur UI and it's only at 1Ghz. Prime won't have such extra UI skin and have faster clocked CPU/GPU in OMAP4, so it won't be deal breaker for me. If you really wish Exynos in your new phone, I suggest Galaxy Note coming to AT&T or wait even more for SGSIII next year which will blow away anything with quad core Exynos.:cool: But they won't be Google experience device like Nexus Prime (or Galaxy Nexus).

Upvote 0
Specs i expect:

1) Exynos 4212 SoC - DualCore 1.5GHz (including a brandnew [better] GPU, maybe PowerVR SGX 544MP2)
2) 1GB Ram
3) 4,65" sAmoled HD (1280*720) [curved screen]
4) 4G LTE ready; also NFC-Chip built in
5) GSM/CDMA-Radio
6) 2000mA battery
7) around 130-140g 'heavy'
8) ~9mm thick
9) 5MP/8MP Camera with 1080p Video-Recording and enhanced sensor + 2MP FrontCamera for 720p Video-Calls (over LTE/Wifi)
10) Status-LED

THIS would be the ultimative Phone...
and of course "something big" and a candidate for "Gaming & Entertainment Enthusiasts" ;)

And i expect it to come out on verizon exclusive for ~ 1 month, and then the other US-Carrier following... but the rest of the world will get it @ the same time, verizon does in the US

Ps: vz_wired pls comment on my dreams :D

Reactions: coach26
Upvote 0
Ah... didn't think about the crappy Moto skin on top as being the culprit instead of the OMAP processor. Remember, I'm new to the whole Android OS thing and keep thinking in iOS terms where there are no skins that change performance (unless jailbroken i suppose). I guess in that logic, the exynos buttery smooth performance could be contributed to touchwiz possibly as well??

Here is hoping that if Prime does have the an Omap it will at least be vanilla android with no bloatware and the UI is nice and smooth in ICS. I'm to the point now where even if it performs worse than the bionic in terms of UI smoothness, I will still be getting it anyway. Tired of waiting and tired of my iPhone and AT&T.

Upvote 0
That is ridiculously thick. It looks like they just modded the Nexus S into Zack Morris's phone.

Honestly, I don't mind a thicker phone, the thinness out of the box is not a problem for me. I'll probably buy an extended battery regardless as long as they offer one as I don't mind how big the phone get's with it as long as I can go a full 8-12 hours with heavy use. If not, I'll just have to dial back my usage but I, like others, keep an extra charger with me at work so it's not a problem for me to keep a charge but I just like the extra security. I just hope that if they make an extended battery that someone makes a nice case to fit it.

Upvote 0
If VZ_Wired is correct, then none of the disappointing specs are true. I just can't see a 5MP camera for the same reason as stated above. I know that MP's don't mean squat, but they mean a lot to people who aren't following an epic speculation thread and they believe exynos must have something to do with glue. Besides. if Samsung doesn't get this, then why are they sampling a 16MP sensor in Q4?

Upvote 0
This is getting weird. My sister texted me and told me that higher-ups at Verizon are getting scared of talking about upcoming phones. Seems someone got caught leaking something and is getting in trouble big time. Like possibly losing their job.

I wonder if this has anything to do with any of the leaks we've been getting today or not. Might not even be Nexus-related. But still, weird.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones