• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got over 1500 on my rooted DX. Does this mean my DX is almost as good as the Galaxy Nexus? ;) :p

Yeah, I've gotten 1600 on my Dinc before too, but it was not usable. The stupid thing locks up mid test and goes into a reboot loop. When you get one that high and do a screen shot you immediately go back to under clock speed so your phone is usable again.

That said, I would have expected a dual core to be twice as fast (or nearly twice as fast) as my 1Ghz Dinc when stable. My Dinc runs stable at around 1200 Quadrant scores. Oh well, I found out long ago that Quadrant scores are useless, only made for bragging over nothing.

I'm not buying the Nexus to have a better phone, my Dinc is still a good phone. I'm buying because I want a new experience.

Reactions: BabyBlues
Upvote 0
I just got over 1500 on my rooted DX. Does this mean my DX is almost as good as the Galaxy Nexus? ;) :p

And that's not overclocking right, because you can't with the X? I remember I used to get mid 1600s with my OG overclocked to 1.1 or 1.2 Ghz. My T-bolt, the last time I ran it AOSP ran around 2500. Point of this is that Quadrant is shouldn't be relied upon for any useful data. In fact, makes me wonder why the hell I even have it on my T-bolt...Hmmmmmmmmm:thinking:

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
And what's with both the Vigor and GNex getting the same date? I know that's what the MAP says, but seems kinda strange to me. Figure they'd want to spread them out.

I'm guessing GNex 11/10 and Vigor 11/17.

I think we'll get a preorder for the G-Nex on the 3rd with an in-store availability on the 10th. As for the Vigor...I have no idea what to think of that phone as it has gotten absolutely 0 love lately. And I can't blame them--who would want to release a bloated phone within a week of the G-Nex? Sounds like a FAIL strategy to me.

Upvote 0
I think we'll get a preorder for the G-Nex on the 3rd with an in-store availability on the 10th. As for the Vigor...I have no idea what to think of that phone as it has gotten absolutely 0 love lately. And I can't blame them--who would want to release a bloated phone within a week of the G-Nex? Sounds like a FAIL strategy to me.

Not to mention going with that horrible horrible other name. BUT there are people who love sense and are planning on the Vigor whenever it decides to make an appearance.
I was in that camp - then I got bit by the ICS bug

Upvote 0

Hoping you're right on the pre-order.

Upvote 0
Maybe. I see it more of a burning-out. This past weekend I was totally burnt-out on SGN that I really didn't care that much about it anymore. I think I'll be super-excited about it when it finally drops, but I'm not going to have a heart attack waiting for it.
I know I'm the bipolar one in this group, according to the "psychologists" among you,

I think your OK. I enjoy your attitude and the way you mix it up. I do wanna see a pic of the Sis? :eek:

Upvote 0
And that's not overclocking right, because you can't with the X? I remember I used to get mid 1600s with my OG overclocked to 1.1 or 1.2 Ghz. My T-bolt, the last time I ran it AOSP ran around 2500. Point of this is that Quadrant is shouldn't be relied upon for any useful data. In fact, makes me wonder why the hell I even have it on my T-bolt...Hmmmmmmmmm:thinking:

Yes its not overclocking. I was actually trying to show just how irrelevant this test is.

Upvote 0
My prediction of the release is pessimistic because of what I have seen in this world of new phone releases.

Verizon says "Later this year". That hints to me as a softening of the blow or they have not yet decided. But I'm no mind reader. I just cannot get excited about an 11/10 date. I will if it happens but for now I am blank in my enthusiasm.

I have been through behavioral modification therapy with "The End of Waiting" and the GSII. The pain........ Oh!

Reactions: cereal killer
Upvote 0
Maybe. I see it more of a burning-out. This past weekend I was totally burnt-out on SGN that I really didn't care that much about it anymore. I think I'll be super-excited about it when it finally drops, but I'm not going to have a heart attack waiting for it.

I know I'm the bipolar one in this group, according to the "psychologists" among you, but I'm kind of done living and dying with the news about this phone. At this point, I think until I actually can walk into Verizon and pick it up, I'm in a "blah" mood about it.

Edit: Doesn't mean I'll stop posting or lounging around in this thread of course, but I just don't feel the "thrill" I did before.

Based on the dramatic slow down of posts, seems others are in your mindset, but still plenty here to fill a loony bin if "later this year" really is later this year.

Upvote 0
I also must say that I have very little faith that P3Droid has a current SGN. The pics he posted of it have a completely different back cover to what was announced in HK.

Thisismynext said in their podcast that many of the phones at HK had different firmwares, etc.

I don't take p3Droid's claims with a grain of salt. I sift the entire 7 seas of the world, collect all of that salt, and then add the salt from all the tables at all the fast food and sit-down restaurants in the United States, collect all of it into a giant receptacle triple the size of the International Space Station, and then dump all of it on his tweet.

I agree. Not to mention I mean as long as the phone is smooth I could care less what it gets quadrant wise. Most would not know what a quadrant score is anyway and who knows if that benchmark is even set up to work right with ICS.

Upvote 0

I know I'm the bipolar one in this group, according to the "psychologists" among you, but I'm kind of done living and dying with the news about this phone. At this point, I think until I actually can walk into Verizon and pick it up, I'm in a "blah" mood about it.

Edit: Doesn't mean I'll stop posting or lounging around in this thread of course, but I just don't feel the "thrill" I did before.

I think we all expected too much from this phone and when our expectations hit reality a lot of us were taken aback. Be honest, had Samsung come to the table with the "Nexus Prime" with dual core 1.5Ghz processors, 32GB on board and three different models, one with no SD card included, one with 16GB and one with 32GB SD cards included. NFC, 1GB of RAM, ICS, True HD Display 16:9, 4G etc. We would have all been so excited about this phone that we would be camping out in front of Big Red NOW.

As it is, it fell short of those lofty expectations. So now the dilemma for many is, do I buy in now or do I allow myself to be sucked into the "next" big thing. Maybe it's the G2HD, maybe it's the G3, maybe it's phone XYZ. If your phone still functions the way that it did on launch. If your phone has lots of developer support and lots of ROMS, if you have rooted and don't mind or even like playing around . . . maybe the answer is what is coming in the 1st quarter 2012. Otherwise, where's the problem. You go from a phone not truly functioning well to the best . . . well one of the best on the market. Hey, at least you have ICS by yourself . . . for now.

Upvote 0
EarlyMon summed it up pretty nicely but the REAL purpose of Quadrant is for bragging rights :) (I kid but that seems to be the case)

SGSII holds the title with a 3700 and some change.

It's true about the bragging part - I've been in forums where regulars have asked me to leave because I must be jealous of their Quadrant scores.

OK - in fairness, I have found the explanation about Quadrant - note that this instructional video ends with the usual behavior among its ardent fans.

Kirk plays Fizbin. - YouTube

Yeap. Perfect.

I'd say a score of 3700 must be like a Royal Fizbin!

Upvote 0
I think we all expected too much from this phone and when our expectations hit reality a lot of us were taken aback. Be honest, had Samsung come to the table with the "Nexus Prime" with dual core 1.5Ghz processors, 32GB on board and three different models, one with no SD card included, one with 16GB and one with 32GB SD cards included. NFC, 1GB of RAM, ICS, True HD Display 16:9, 4G etc. We would have all been so excited about this phone that we would be camping out in front of Big Red NOW.

As it is, it fell short of those lofty expectations. So now the dilemma for many is, do I buy in now or do I allow myself to be sucked into the "next" big thing. Maybe it's the G2HD, maybe it's the G3, maybe it's phone XYZ. If your phone still functions the way that it did on launch. If your phone has lots of developer support and lots of ROMS, if you have rooted and don't mind or even like playing around . . . maybe the answer is what is coming in the 1st quarter 2012. Otherwise, where's the problem. You go from a phone not truly functioning well to the best . . . well one of the best on the market. Hey, at least you have ICS by yourself . . . for now.

People set themselves up for disappointment with that logic. The nexus is never groundbreaking spec wise. It is not aimed at that but rather a developing platform. You had to know this would be no different and if you get upset well then that is foolish with everything that has been shown in previous nexus versions. It is just a phone people it will be alright:p

Upvote 0

The SGN only falls short on one of those specs, a 1.2 GHz processor versus a 1.5 GHz. I highly doubt most users are going to notice a difference the vast majority of the time, until something new is made to truly stress that processor.

I think the only thing some folks are disappointed about(aside from a missing SD slot) is the GPU. And with this, again, the vast majority of users won't really notice or care.

Edit: Wow, 100 posts, all because of this one thread ;)

Upvote 0
So here is a question: Pre-order or in-store morning of? I can see the advantages of pre-ordering in that you will guarantee yourself a phone if the order goes through. But for me that would require me waiting until the night of release when I get home, which then you need to plug it up for 8 hours to charge before playing with it (haha. yeah right.) Or go to store at opening, and get it that morning, but risk it being more popular than you expected and they are out of stock, or didn't get any at that store at all... Which is it folks?

Upvote 0
It's true about the bragging part - I've been in forums where regulars have asked me to leave because I must be jealous of their Quadrant scores.

OK - in fairness, I have found the explanation about Quadrant - note that this instructional video ends with the usual behavior among its ardent fans.

Kirk plays Fizbin. - YouTube

Yeap. Perfect.

I'd say a score of 3700 must be like a Royal Fizbin!

I am kind of indifferent to Quadrant now and have three active devices ATM: D3, Flyer and Thrive.

Both the D3 and Thrive score a few hundred above the Flyer, but the Flyer plays N64 and FPse a LOT smoother and ditto for Flash video in browser and 720p MKV files.

This tells me that from a practical standpoint Quadrant is a little too synthetic and not 100% reality. Added: Not to mention that to this day, the dev STILL has not answered how the weight is applied for each segment of the total score.

Upvote 0
So here is a question: Pre-order or in-store morning of? I can see the advantages of pre-ordering in that you will guarantee yourself a phone if the order goes through. But for me that would require me waiting until the night of release when I get home, which then you need to plug it up for 8 hours to charge before playing with it (haha. yeah right.) Or go to store at opening, and get it that morning, but risk it being more popular than you expected and they are out of stock, or didn't get any at that store at all... Which is it folks?

This will be a tough call for me too... :thinking: I'm curious if we can preorder and pick up in store haha :p

Upvote 0

Sometimes you get your phone like a day before so if that happens you could have it and get to mess around with it before everyone else.

Reactions: AntimonyER
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones