• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official HTC One M8 Prime (Prime8/Primate/Plus) Rumors and Speculation Thread (updated title 5/30)

Btw - I said in the LG G3 thread initially that I didn't care about the 805.

Honestly, I still don't, as far as performance or future proofing.

I just decided that someday it would be satisfying to say that I ran the bookends in the series and some in between.

Honestly?

The big old One Max from last year would be a step up from what I have now, including its Snapdragon 600 and 1080p screen.

I checked out of curiosity, I saw an old news story ragging about a screen that big (same size as one of the Notes at 5.9" ) and guess what? It's still more ppi than my 4.7" 720p screen! :rofl:

So, the LG G3 has me wanting a little more screen than the M8 and maybe a little less than the One Max.

But the real reason I've been looking at either is because I had a secret and I decided to get honest with myself.

I was going to quietly hold out for a modular, build it yourself, Project Ara phone to arrive.

Until it hit me that I couldn't fool myself. You see, mine would probably easily top a thousand bucks by the time I was done horsing around. :D

And no way can I afford that stunt. :rofl:

Upvote 0
I was going to quietly hold out for a modular, build it yourself, Project Ara phone to arrive.

Until it hit me that I couldn't fool myself. You see, mine would probably easily top a thousand bucks by the time I was done horsing around. :D

And no way can I afford that stunt. :rofl:

I was thinking the same thing, but no way big red gonna offer modular, from what I can surmise.

Upvote 0
u and I are next? lol (jk)

Heaven forbid! :rofl:

I hadn't followed that everyone knew who he was.

I had noticed that the news outlets seem to have a special venom reserved for him, and as he's a former competitor, now I get it.

I have to believe that he's cultivated a number of contacts and is working as a reliable shield.

Which is a good thing.

As you and I both know, insiders don't always have the full or right story though, nor do they always know all things, just things in their field of view.

Maybe his source was outed and ordered to plant this and burn his bridges.

Maybe it's as he said at evleaks.at - this was a prerelease rumor, things change, get over it.

My (uncredited lol, and I don't mean that in a bitter way) idea that there was more than one prototype has gained momentum in the press and is being said in a number of places.

I didn't think it important enough to post, wish I had, but a few days before evleaks.at said it was dead, some clown in Taiwan wrote a passionate article to lose the big camera and talk to people before making such a big mistake as releasing the Prime, because obviously no one wants a big camera sticking out of their phone.

Typical conformist that wouldn't buy the thing in any case, but exactly the sort of idiot that HTC would listen to, especially with some small population of M8 owners feeling butthurt over bragging rights getting press coverage and validation (and make no mistake, evleaks did validate them).

News flash for anyone who doesn't agree that the next HTC ought to come out this year, any new device will be overshadowed within 6 months. You were not cheated. You chose to not wait any longer. Steven and I have. Within six months of whatever we buy, whenever that may be, it's going to be overshadowed, too. Instead of whining, we're going to say congratulations on your new phone, hope it's rewarding for you and cheers.

Chris Chavez tried to point out that the new model, whether Prime or Plus or who knows, will fill the slot that the One Max did last year. And the ocd crowd posted specs to prove he was wrong. And he's not. Please see the sign that says, "You must be this tall to ride."

Anyway, an 8 MP camera with UltraPixel technology would have been great. I'd be happy with the 4 MP UltraPixel. But the 8 would be better, sticking out of the phone and all.

Why? Haven't I said that MP don't matter?

Yes. Yes I did.

I also said that total sensor size and actual aperture size do matter a lot.

Stop the MP madness, stop the 1/3" sensor with an iris smaller than 2 mm across.

Make it bigger, get more light in, do it the way you prototyped here on the Prime, HTC.

Innovate. Stop negotiating and innovate.

Let the market come up with a solution to protect the lens in a stylish manner. Or take the next step and include an integrated lens cover. Hinge it all the way up at the top of the frame. Charge more. I'll pay it.

And let the press that will hate whatever you do have words so unimportant that you will not hear them.

And for my sake, put in a freaking setting that lets me dial down your ridiculous compression factor on pictures.

And bring back the low resolution VGA ffc, it's better for video chatting. Let the selfie crowd use the mirror in the bar bathroom, because they will anyway.

Upvote 0
When was the actual last game changer?

The HTC EVO 4G, the first or maybe second phone with a huge 4.3" screen (the DX was the other, the Evo was announced first), the first 4G phone, had a front facing camera and video chatting worked very well (even on 3G) (the iPhone ffc came later and required wifi for video chatting) and the first non-Nexus to support Flash, happened June 1st 2010. Plus it had a kickstand.

I can't think of any other game changers, just refinements.

Was multi-core a game changer the following year? Perhaps so.

Or HD that same year?

What is a game changer? :dontknow:

Upvote 0
Tough one.

The Moto X with its touchless controls or active notifications?

Not a massive commercial success, but you could potentially argue both (or at least touchless controls) are game changers?

I expected both to become common.

Qualcomm has added the core that the Moto X used to make it possible for everyone but so far, no real takers thanks I can see. (Yes, I've heard about Samsung.)

I considered upgrading out of cycle just for those features and almost did.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well...

The more I look at the pictures in the M8 forum and the more I don't avoid that Boomsound is a feature I've wanted since before it came out, it's obvious to me that the innovations I care about are from HTC.

Controversy is already out about the QHD and it's exactly what I predicted - TANSTAAFL - there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

And if anyone can actually see a dot pitch difference between 1080p and 1440p on screens this small, more power to you - I already know that I can't.

I'm still going to want to see what this new phone is first, and if it's not exactly what I want, I'm going with the M8.

Easy. :)

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
And if anyone can actually see a dot pitch difference between 1080p and 1440p on screens this small, more power to you - I already know that I can't.

A fine point and has been since day 1. Seems to me that LG put all their eggs into the screen basket. I'm not sure that was the best basket with all things considered.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
A fine point and has been since day 1. Seems to me that LG put all their eggs into the screen basket. I'm not sure that was the best basket with all things considered.

People get defensive about what they believe that they see or how they see.

Of the four factors influencing perceived details, resolution comes in dead last.

"Sometimes I can even see the dots on 1080p."

No, you can't. If you could see the dots, you'd see them all of the time. If you see them sometimes, you're seeing another defect.

But once people get their minds made up, it's the end of the world.

Same thing with megapixels.

"See this picture, see the dots?! You're blind if you don't!"

No, I usually see jpeg compression wound up too high, we haven't gotten to the dots.

Take a 13 MP shooter. Take 3 bytes for each RGB pixel - just like your screen.

You need 39 MB to save the shot.

Got any phones putting out from 13 to 39 MB for each and every picture?

Of course not, it's compressed, jpeg compression.

And it's not like a zip file compression of your homework that you unzip and get everything back.

Jpeg is designed to lose dots - on purpose.

Because... see the part where dots are the least important of the four factors that the eye and brain that make up details.

Take 3 fixed sounds. Combine them however you want, whatever volume, but no change in pitch.

Recreate 16 million different sounds doing that - you can't. Ears are freaking remarkable.

Take 3 colors, vary each one by only 256 levels and combine them.

Welcome to your easily fooled eyes.

So, if they sort out the battery and the performance, I couldn't care less about dots so long as it's enough.

More dots = less aliasing on small or fine text. That's all.

Anyway, yeah, bring on the dual cam UltraPixel for less noise and more to goof around with, and bring on the Boomsound, cause I'm coming home.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
Btw, the UltraPixel is an anti-noise technology. Samsung reduced interstitial noise with a different new technology on the SGS5, but they have lots of megapixels.

I respect both because they're both anti-noise.

Didn't want to sound like I was slamming everything else, I just have criteria that works for me. :)

Thank you for saying that. I was DEEPLY offended for Samsung. :p (jk)

Upvote 0

Remember when mom used to ask, "If your friend went and jumped off the roof would you jump too? :mad:"

Everyone who said yes is now in charge of cell phones. :D

We're all getting 1440p. It's not going to stop. Just a question of when. :p

Steven - lol!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones