• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Offline Navigation: Anyone try CoPilot or Navigon?

laufu

Sep 3, 2010
I recently started to travel alot and majority of these places, I am not able to get phone signal, so Google Nav/TelNav is not an option. I also do not want to carry around my old Garmin M5 so I am considering an offline Navigation program for my semi-reliable Vibrant. I say semi because even after the JI6 update, I managed to crash the phone using GPS.

I am looking into CoPilot or Navigon. Has anyone tried either app on their Vibrant?
More important, how well does the app handle the quirks of the Vibrant's GPS system?

Thanks
Kevin

I recently started to travel alot and majority of these places, I am not able to get phone signal, so Google Nav/TelNav is not an option. I also do not want to carry around my old Garmin M5 so I am considering an offline Navigation program for my semi-reliable Vibrant. I say semi because even after the JI6 update, I managed to crash the phone using GPS.

I am looking into CoPilot or Navigon. Has anyone tried either app on their Vibrant?
More important, how well does the app handle the quirks of the Vibrant's GPS system?

Thanks
Kevin

The only time my phone has crashed since the update was when I installed Copilot just to check it out. First time I opened the app after install, the phone crashed. Uninstalled it. Your mileage yadda yadda.

Upvote 0
I use copilot. I haven't used Navigon.

I have had pretty good luck with CoPilot so far, although there are some issues that I attribute more to the phone's GPS accuracy than the software. Even though the latest update improved much of the GPS issue, accuracy is still bad. As a result, CoPilot has some trouble getting an accurate initial location. Once it does figure out where you are it seems to be able to keep track of your location better than Google Maps. Google Maps would often hop one street over while I was driving.

Unlike the previous poster, I have not had any significant crashing issues with the software.

Upvote 0
I tried copilot and it crashed the phone on installation.

Was just in Europe, and I used Navdroyd, to avoid huge data charges - maps are good, though not nearly as many POIs as googlemaps or garmin. (maps are based on OSM, relatively frequent upgrades, but Navdroyd does all the conversion work for you, makes it easy to download them for free). Navdroyd itself only costs a few Euro.

The turn by turn guidance just about works, but not great.

Upvote 0
I have copilot and it works well. It has only crashed once, but most of the time works without any problems. I got it to use overseas (in africa) but have not gone there yet so my experiences and only here in America. No idea how detailed the international maps are but from my experiences of the North American one, it is a good buy and a relatively stable program

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones