• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Only show new (unread) mail in notifications?

Vrtigo1

Lurker
Aug 24, 2010
I sync my work mail (Exchange) to my Captivate, and have noticed a problem with the notifications. Let's say that it's been an hour since I looked at my phone and in that time I've received 10 e-mails. Even though I've read and potentially deleted or filed these e-mails on my computer, the phone still has a notification that I've received 10 e-mails.

On my iPhone and various Blackberries, once I read a message on my computer, it would no longer show up as a new message on my phone. I get tons of e-mail, so this is a real headache for me. Does anyone know of a way to make the notifications message count stay in sync with what's actually unread/new on the Exchange server?

I only use gmail and no outlook stuff. I was having a similar problem with the gmail app. It wasn't refelcting what was correct on the web browser version,etc. I found this tip somewhere and it solved my problem:

1) Click settings
2) Applications
3) Manage Applications
4) Settings button
5) choose filter and select all

This is where it will be different. I went and found "Gmail" and "Gmail Storage" on each one i did the "clear data' and "clear cache".

I'm assuming you are using the regular "email app". So do it for the email app and pick "clear data" and "clear cache".

For me, I did it once and never had the problem again.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones