• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Optimize your Droid Eris battery life (READ THIS)

it was at 14% awake time when i woke up and checked it and full bars on signal.

is it because I left my wi-fi on? i remember reading something about wi-fi is suppose to help the battery instead of draining it more than leaving 3g on

It could be. Test it tonight and see if there's a difference. 14% is pretty good for awake time, and if you have full bars, then signal shouldn't be draining the battery.

There's an option in the wifi settings to control when it shuts itself off to save power.

Upvote 0
how do you get your awake time from 30% to something lower. i have about 50 apps on my phone and only 3 or 4 are constantly running please help

You'd have to stop using your phone and allow it to sleep more. 30% doesn't seem too extreme if you're a heavy user. Mine is usually around 20%.

Red flags are raised when you see something at 80-100%. Then there's a program that's not allowing the phone to sleep.

Upvote 0
Ok help me on this one. I locked my phone up and had to do a hard rest. I wiped the whole phone clean. I went in and redownloaded everything but pandahome and the themes for that. I recently purchased open home and a mustang theme. I'm still running the default message app with sms pop up. I have a task killer and have done the brightness setting plus turned WiFi and blue tooth off. My problem happened today I was running 14% before last night. I turned my phone off to charge which I never do and when I turned it on it stayed at 100% for half the day. I restarted the phone and now I'm at 42% what could have happend.

well charge time with phone on counts as awake time, not sure how that works with the phone off, and on the charger.

to test real quick. turn your phone off, then turn it on, immediately put it to sleep and let it sleep for a few minutes. then wake it up and check your awake time.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I'm running 2.1 and using the same settings I had on 1.5 and although the 2.1 doesn't give you a percentage of awake time, the awake vs on times are only off by a few seconds :( I am running handcent SMS and turned off the stock sms...

I'm going on two days now finally with no "awake time" issues, go into accounts and sync and see what you have there. I disabled weather, flikr, and twitter and one of those seemed to be the issue. I havent turned them back on yet like was going to, to nail it down because I realize I don't use them anyway and although HTC's weather widget clock-a-ma-jig thing is really cool in 2.1, I prefer the 1x1 weather channel widget anyway. All those things (and a few more) mask their network usage as "calendar". Download spare parts from the market, open program >battery history>select "partial wake time" and let us know which app is the culprit. Also any of the multi IM programs do this, although the save battery feature in e-buddy works ok.

Upvote 0
I don't know what changed. I locked my phone up and performed a hard reset. I then downloaded most of the apps that I had before I had to do the hard reset. After all that I was running 12% this was like a week ago. I turned my phone off and charged it all night, the next day I ran 100%. I did all of your tips at the beginning of this thread and the lowest I have hit is 42%. I'm running 1.5 non rooted though I wish I was. Lol.

Upvote 0
I know Caddy posted this back when we had 1.5, but I always wondered. It was suggested that we set WiFi sleep policy to " never. " Why is that a good thing to never sleep? Doesn't that just eat more battery?

Now with 2.1 it says under wifi sleep policy "specifiy when to switch from wifi to mobile data: 15 minutes; never when plugged in; never. "

Am I correct in assuming that we should set it to never still?

Upvote 0
-caddyman-
I downloaded spare parts and couldnt really find the cause. SO I did a hard reset. I downloaded all of my apps again that I had before and Im now running 38% which is a lot better. I was at 17% but then I set-up open home and it jumped to 38% battery life is better now. Thank you for all of your help.

P.S. I think im rooting to 2.1. Question for you (sorry I know this is the wrong thread for this, I created my own thread in all things rooted) What version of 2.1 do you recommend?
Will I still be able to get the offical OTA when it comes?

Upvote 0
Just wanted to say im a new eris customer and by following the battery tips i went from 7.30 this morning off the charger to 2.30pm and the battery meter only dropped 1 bar segment. I had 1 2minute phone call. Did about a total of 40 sms messages. And browsed the web with wifi for about a total of 10 minutes of use. I also had Mobile Network turned off the whole time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones