• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Optimus Elite root with an apk

It uses its very own exploit. Judging from that output, I think it can be tweaked to work. The "[+] Hooked mask_requests_validate()" means it has already overwritten part of the running kernel. After that, it tries to call something to get the kernel to execute the overwritten code.

It looks like we may have to try overwriting a different spot on yours, and then getting it to run that bit of code instead. If you can get the source for your kernel, it would probably speed up the process a bit.

Upvote 0
If you can get the source for your kernel, it would probably speed up the process a bit.

And that it is the most unfortunate bit - I dont think I have a chance that the Chinese manufacturer who did this will ever release source code. I dont see them making an update in the form of an update.zip even.

But I will hope and update if ever such sources are released. Thanks for your effort sir.

Upvote 0
img20121004065010.jpg

The whole error message.

Upvote 0
So I went ahead and tried this on my phone

Didnt stick

Here are error messages :

[+] Mapped 0x10000000
[+] Hooked mask_requests_validate()
[-] Error running kernel-mode code
[-] Failed to clean up our mess

Think you can tweak it more to be more universal?

Or, I've got this feeling, this is uses the same exploit as zergrush, and so anything that fails there also fails with poot?

This only works on phones that are vulnerable to the bug exploit this executes.

Upvote 0
FYI - Elite users, giantpune figured out another root method. Rejoice!

So, in case LG/VM ever present a patch that hinders our current methods, we have at least one backup. This one is pretty amusing IMO.

It may even provide fully working ADB in the stock recovery, but I'm not going to check.

Upvote 0
Hi. Successfully rooted my W100 through this procedure. thank you!

However, I tried doing it on the same phone my dad has, and there's a problem.

His device lost root and it was saying that the instance it was using is not system/xbin/su. something like that. do you know a workaround with this?

I will post the error message here:

'/system/bin" is the first su found
The su that is being used is not /system/xbin s expected.​

Upvote 0

His device lost root and it was saying that the instance it was using is not system/xbin/su. something like that. do you know a workaround with this?

If your dad's phone happens to have CWM installed, I could give you a ZIP to flash which could fix that.

I bet giantpune could probably add some code to clean up any existing copies of the su binary before installation.

If it had a copy of an su binary in /system/bin, it would seem that your dad's phone was already rooted. Did something go wrong with it which made you need to root it again or was that leftover from an unsuccessful rooting attempt?

Upvote 0
If your dad's phone happens to have CWM installed, I could give you a ZIP to flash which could fix that.

I bet giantpune could probably add some code to clean up any existing copies of the su binary before installation.

If it had a copy of an su binary in /system/bin, it would seem that your dad's phone was already rooted. Did something go wrong with it which made you need to root it again or was that leftover from an unsuccessful rooting attempt?

Thanks for the reply. :)

Nope, it still doesn't have a CWM installed.

Well, this was the first attempt to root the unit actually. The thing is with him, I updated the busybox installer to both xbin and bin folders, because it's needed to enable init.d since I need to run some scripts with it. phone has a low internal memory, my dad's getting excited to add apps and everything, so I'll be enabling int2ext with his phone. that's the only thing I did, I guess.

maybe that would be the last option, if giantpune would be able to add that code to clean up. hoping he would do that!

Upvote 0

Your dad's phone "lost its root" because of fail-program you installed. It created a file called "/system/bin/su", but most likely didn't give it suid attributes. you can still use the su binary that was installed with poot by calling it by name. Unless you deleted it, this will give you a root adb shell. Use that to undo whatever it was you did that broke it.
Code:
adb shell
/system/xbin/su

Upvote 0
Yeah, ministro/necessitas went through a little upgrade this past week. I still have the old ministro.apk linked on the first post. The version in the google play store is newer. And I built the w100 apk against the latest necessitas. It should probably work if you delete ministro and grab it from the google play store or directly from the necessitas website.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones