• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OS Software update: "Failed to connect to Server"

ambientdroid

Jan 31, 2011
Japan
I live in Japan and recently got my first android phone, a Toshiba Regza T-01C with 2.1-update1 installed. I think these handsets have only been released in the last month or so.

I know the latest version is at least 2.2 and has been out for a while.

Going to:
Settings > About Phone > Software Update
I am given a menu with 2 options, 'configure the software update' (chose between automatic and manual) and 'start the software update'.

Start the Software Update > Yes then "Failed to connect Server. Please retry later."

Now I don't expect to have an update available straight away for a phone that's just been released, but shouldn't I at least be able to connect to the server to see if one's available?

Try going into the application manager via menu > settings > applications > manage applications where you should find a "checkin service" app. Click that app and clear anything that is not greyed out of the three possibilities: cache, data and defaults.

Then reboot.

Right so I cleared the data (everything else was grey), rebooted and tried again.
It gave me the same message as before.
I went through it all twice to make sure.

Now that it's failed again, if I go and find Checkin Service I see it's got 20KB of data again.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Upvote 0
It sounds like the issue is with the server itself, and not your device.

Usually that means a waiting game. ;)

I'm wondering if you can get the update by going into the carrier's store.

As I look around the forums and sites where your Toshiba Regza T-01C is talked about, I see some users with 2.1 and some with 2.2.

hmmm

Probably likely. How much hassle/benefit is involved in the update?

Upvote 0
How much hassle/benefit is involved in the update?

Froyo is not the same for every Android device. There are a lot of similarities, of course, it is after all the same operating system and will have the same look across many phones.

But 2.2 on an HTC device with Verizon as the carrier is not going to have exactly the same imprint as 2.2 on a Motorola device on AT&T because the carriers and manufacturers approach their customer bases a bit differently, and because there are different hardware issues to deal with.

2.2 is considered a very much anticipated, major step forward by most Android device users.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones