• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OTA android updates and discount carriers?

mrpenguinz

Lurker
Oct 31, 2012
Hello!

I am a little new to this; I searched, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I know that there is a bit of a issue over OTA updates for android phones, insofar as companies and carriers get the final say (and take their dear sweet time). My question is, who has the final say and "controls" the updates? (phone manufacturers? networks?) What about the discount carriers who piggyback from the big ones? (also, if you only update while on wifi, why does the network matter?!)

To that end, and my specific question, I have a Galaxy Nexus, and I use PureTalk (AT&T piggyback). I do not get OTA updates; is there a way to get OTA updates? or will I have to flash my own ROMS to get the contemporary google experience? or would popping in an AT&T Sim and going to "update phone" be enough? Any other thoughts, things i may be unaware of?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones