• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Overheating problem

Also:

1. What is your signal strength when this is occurring? (Settings -> About phone -> Status -> SIM status -> Signal strength (the lower the number, the better))

If your device is constantly searching for a network signal, it could be working extra hard.

2. Do you have your N5 in a case? (I've got one of the Google cases that completely surrounds the phone)

My phone gets a little warm during long-ish (10+ minute) phone calls that I attribute to also having it in a case.

Lots of battery temperature apps out there you can use to see the temp:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=battery temp&c=apps

Last edited:
Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Also:

1. What is your signal strength when this is occurring? (Settings -> About phone -> Status -> SIM status -> Signal strength (the lower the number, the better))

If your device is constantly searching for a network signal, it could be working extra hard.

2. Do you have your N5 in a case? (I've got one of the Google cases that completely surrounds the phone)

My phone gets a little warm during long-ish (10+ minute) phone calls that I attribute to also having it in a case.

Lots of battery temperature apps out there you can use to see the temp:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=battery temp&c=apps

yeah i have an all-surrounding case, Signal strength is at -102 dBm 41 asu

Upvote 0
yeah i have an all-surrounding case, Signal strength is at -102 dBm 41 asu

Both of those items will indeed contribute but to varying degrees (no pun intended :p)--your signal strength is similar to what I'm seeing at work, so that's probably not too bad.

I don't remember if the Franco kernel overclocks by default, but make sure you're not cranking it up too high (or at all if you're still getting excessive heat).

You might also simply have a battery that needs replacing vs. a software issue.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones