• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Passion/Dragon news for today

Status
Not open for further replies.
But im on the Big Red network, and there is no way I can change. Am I SOL unless i buy it for retail price?

No, If they only released GSM versions you'd have to change networks. Buying a GSM phone would not work on Verizons CDMA network. BUT I'm on Verizon myself as well and remember the rumors surfaced about Verizon. There IS supposed to be the CDMA/Verizon version of this phone released in late JAN. There are tons of clues that this will be cdma as well so just cross your fingers. They say its easier to test phones by giving them out as unlocked gsm phones...or at least I hope!

Upvote 0
But im on the Big Red network, and there is no way I can change. Am I SOL unless i buy it for retail price?

People, dont forget that Verizon and Google have a partnership. As far as I know other carriers do not have such an agreement. They have comitted to a multiyear roadmap and several android devices. Hence this would favor the Google phone coming to Verizon.

Upvote 0
Yes, it's true that the phone they handed out at Google had a SIM card slot, but don't world phones have sim card slots, even if they're CDMA phones? I.E. The Blackberry Storm? Couldn't this phone that these Google employees are playing with just APPEARS to be a GSM phone because they are using SIM cards? If it's totally unlocked, it could be a world phone and it works on EVERY network. GSM and CDMA. Because honestly, if I just found a phone on the street and I picked it up and took the battery cover off and saw a SIM card slot, I would assume it was a GSM phone for T-Mobile or AT&T, I would never first assume that it was a world phone compatible with GSM and CDMA networks. And there would really be no way to tell just by looking at the phone. Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Yes, it's true that the phone they handed out at Google had a SIM card slot, but don't world phones have sim card slots, even if they're CDMA phones? I.E. The Blackberry Storm? Couldn't this phone that these Google employees are playing with just APPEARS to be a GSM phone because they are using SIM cards? If it's totally unlocked, it could be a world phone and it works on EVERY network. GSM and CDMA. Because honestly, if I just found a phone on the street and I picked it up and took the battery cover off and saw a SIM card slot, I would assume it was a GSM phone for T-Mobile or AT&T, I would never first assume that it was a world phone compatible with GSM and CDMA networks. And there would really be no way to tell just by looking at the phone. Thoughts?

I know for a fact the Storm 1 has a SIM card. I know because I can take off the back panel and there it is. It comes locked by Verizon. This goes the same for the BB Tour and Storm 2. I believe this is also the same with the HTC Ozone and Touch Pro 2 on Verizon. Dont know why anyone would say the presence of a SIM card negates CDMA or Verizon.

Upvote 0
They have sims but it doesn't do anything. Many have removed them. I have an unlocked storm1 with a sim slot. I can't use it on Tmo or ATT though. Its only useful if I travel over seas from what I heard.

That's true...I have heard many people who use them on different networks, run into issues. For GSM carriers, it's always better to have a GSM only device. :)

Upvote 0
They have sims but it doesn't do anything. Many have removed them. I have an unlocked storm1 with a sim slot. I can't use it on Tmo or ATT though. Its only useful if I travel over seas from what I heard.
Verizon's world phones (and Sprint's for that matter) don't have US GSM bands and only access international GSM networks. They're only utilized overseas. So unless u travel frequently, those sim slots are useless.

Upvote 0
Verizon's world phones (and Sprint's for that matter) don't have US GSM bands and only access international GSM networks. They're only utilized overseas. So unless u travel frequently, those sim slots are useless.

Not entirely true. Yeah, they only have 3G int'l bands, but the Verizon world phones are quad band for GPRS/EDGE. They're locked to the Verizon-supplied SIM so that they can't be used in the US, but Verizon has been more than willing to unlock these upon request because some people like to drop in pre-paid SIM cards when out of the country to not incur world roaming charges. If you do this and drop in an AT&T card, it will work here, albeit limited to 2G data speeds.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones