• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "People" app: How does the "Link" feature work?

JohnJSal

Android Expert
Jun 17, 2010
Can someone explain how this works and where the app is pulling the suggested links from? At first I thought it was showing existing links between different contacts, such as if two people have the same home phone number, then it would show that they are connected as such. But after looking closer, it seems to be different.

I assume it's using my various hundreds of Google contacts to find links, but what exactly does linking a contact with something/someone else do? I tried once and linked my sister and brother-in-law, but it had the effect of removing my sister from my Contacts list altogether, so I didn't want that.

I also tried using the option to link with a Facebook profile, but it brings up a text entry field and I have no idea what to type here. I tried typing my friend's name and pressing Enter, but that didn't do anything.

So any information on this whole linking thing would be greatly appreciated!

it's just to link duplicate contacts. Say in your gmail you have a contacts phone # and email saved. When in People and you enter in that phone # it's going to recognize that you have an email address linked to that number and it's going to want to link that people contact to your google contact. Same with facebook. If someone has their # or email on their facebook and you have a seperate account for that person, your phone will match them or link them.

Reactions: JohnJSal
Upvote 0
it's just to link duplicate contacts. Say in your gmail you have a contacts phone # and email saved. When in People and you enter in that phone # it's going to recognize that you have an email address linked to that number and it's going to want to link that people contact to your google contact. Same with facebook. If someone has their # or email on their facebook and you have a seperate account for that person, your phone will match them or link them.

Well, that seems so simple I probably should have already known it! I was assuming it linked *different* people together, but it's just a feature that combines multiple entries of the *same* person? Oh! :)

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones