• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Permissions set but not working

• Thread starter sd card permission bug
  • Start date
S

sd card permission bug

Apps like es file Explorer can't modify stuff on the sd card, in the apps list they all have permission but don't work.

I am close to a heart attack here I am that frustrated. They keep prompting me to enable permissions but there is no God darn option within my phone to do so and I have no idea what the screenshots they show are from.

Please help I'm going to end my life if I can't figure this out by this evening! (just kidding Hut I've never been thisannoyed ever.

You can't modify or change anything on it, despite apparently having the correct permissions? Might just possibly be that your SD has gone read-only for some reason. How long have you been using it? Because going read-only is a failure mode that they can do. SD cards can and do wear out. Or possibly if the file system is corrupted, that can cause them to mount as read-only as well. Try it in another phone, tablet or computer if possible.

If it has actually failed completely to read-only, and won't even reformat, only thing can do is replace it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try this, select

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-04-22-33-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-04-22-33-24.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 0
You've not said what operating system version you have.

Prior to 4.4 this should not be a problem. In 4.4 Google applied a security policy too enthusiastically, and only system apps could write to sd (so a built in file manager would be ok but not one you added). With 5.0 they loosened it so that you can grant an app the permission to write to the whole sd card, but only if the app requests it. So where the developer never updated to use this system it still won't work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones