• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

phone for Europe?

bob60626

Android Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2012
Chicago
Hi folks!

I'm going to Heidelberg, Germany for 3 weeks this summer. I won't have wifi so I won't be bringing my computer. I'm looking into smart phones and prepaid plans with a heavy internet allowance. I have a Virgin Optimus and so was looking at an unlocked T Mobile version as I am used to the phone and it will do the job (email, some web browing, some GPS,... my only internet device but I will not be using data as I do here). I'll probably bring along my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 for the horribly long plane ride but have no real expectations of being able to use it while there.

Any recommendations? I'm trying to stay below US$200* and would like to have the phone before I fly out, probably buying a SIM once arrived. I figure 300-400 minutes, ? texts (will be traveling with others in the same boat), and about 3-4 gigs of data should do it.
*I would be open to buying a physically larger, 4G, phone and using it with the $30 TMobile plan as a mini tablet before and after. Kinda like how I am using my SGP but with connectivity. I'm not sure I really "need" that though.

Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones