• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone Freezes/Crashes with New Update

PMcOuntry

Lurker
Nov 3, 2011
I updated to 4.0.4 yesterday and ever since then my phone randomly freezes, goes to a black screen and I can't do anything. I have to push the power button several times to get back to the lock screen. Once I put in my "code" it says whatever app I was using as stopped working. This happens with apps I've had forever, not just newer ones. Sometimes it just randomly force closes apps. It's getting very, very annoying since I've never had any problems with my phone before. The phone will also randomly crash and shut down entirely and restart. Please help!

Not a factory reset! Nooooo! The weird thing is my phone was fine until directly after the update. I assumed they were connected. A factory reset means I'll lose everything, correct? Pictures, ringtones, music, etc.?

I hate recommending that myself. Let me figure out some backup utilities for you so you can save app data. Off the top of my head I'd go with SMS Backup+ which will backup all your SMS/MMS messages to your GMail account.

Reactions: PMcOuntry
Upvote 0
Before you do anything rash, try updating everything in the "System Updates" menu first. Another thing to do is try to kill off any possibly incompatible 3rd party (ie. not downloaded from Google) app, utility and/or hack that could be doing this. If you can stop the process and unload the code that's causing the freezes, then you can work on isolating the culprit and uninstalling it gracefully.

If that fails, you might want to try deleting enough files from any questionable third party system stuff to keep them from launching in the first place. This can be hard on a running (or not running as the case may be) phone, but if you're lucky and the offender is installed on the microSD card, you can pull it out of the phone, mount it on a computer, copy the files to the computer to back them up and then delete them from the card, reinstall the card in the phone and boot the phone.

I'm not a power user (yet) so I'm not the one to ask about the various startup modes, but someone who does know might be able to help. Any takers?

Reactions: PMcOuntry
Upvote 0
I found by turning the phone off and letting it rest for a bit, turning it back on, and doing this a few times over it seemed to sort it self out. It still crashes now and then and I get a black screen for about 30 seconds, but I think it's caused by a game I play (which was not installed before the update).

Upvote 0
My s2 is doing many strange things that started right after the update to 4.0.4
It locks up constantly and if i hit my power button several times to lock my phone, it is ok again after i enter my code. I keep getting an annoying error that says "gmail sign in failed" however i can access my gmail account. Many of my apps don't work anymore. Many times when linking to my car for hands free, the person on the other end can't hear me but i can hear them. There are several other things its doing now too but these are the ones that are most annoying.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones