• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone keeps cutting off during call

I am on my second HTC Desire and both drop call all the time in the middle of conversations... great to be cut off when talking to a client trying to bring in business. Thinking it was a reception problem... I purchased a Wilson SmartTech Amplifier, wonderful full bars all the time... but I still drop calls; with maxed out bars. I have come to the conclusion it's a great everything but POS Phone. HTC should change it initials to POS.

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem with my X10. At first I thought I was ending the call with my face, but it continues to occur with my hands-free kit. Reception does not seem to be low. I reckon it is a bug in the phone.

This is a major problem for me, as I am a telephone interpreter. I’m going to see if I can get calls to divert to the land line whilst I am at home.

The sound quality is also awful. Basically, this thing is quite a good little computer, but a shite phone.

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem, however I've found out it's not my phone. I'm in Manchester, UK and on Three. First I had the problem with my HTC Hero, didn't matter if I was in my flat with full signal or on the tram with half signal or on hands free/speaker phone or held to me ear. I thought it was the phone has it was nearly 18months old and had been used a lot. I upgraded to a HTC Desire S & have the same problem and furthermore I know it's not HTC because it has also happened when using my SIM in my spare phone (a ZTE).

So Now I think it's definitely the SIM however the 3Store said if I do a SIM swap I would be without my SIM & number for up to 48hours. I'll give it try next week when I can give out the number of my backup phone & see if that solves it.

It's worth a thought as I've had the SIM for nearly 3 years and has been in at least 5 different phones. Has anyone else tried it? I'll keep you informed anyway & let you know if this fixes my problem.

Upvote 0
UPDATE

Well it's been about 10 days with my new SIM card and still it keeps happening! I had to return a call 5 times on thursday so this is just retarted!

So now we know it's not the phone or SIM & I know it's not the area because in the last 6 months it's happen in, London, Leeds, Liverpool, Wakefield, Salford and the two cities I have homes in, Manchester & Birmingham.

Just called three & asked me to supply them with 3-5 postcodes. When I said the whole of the M1 postcode area, they just said there are 10 masts in that area & they would need more specific info. IT HAPPENS NO MATTER WHERE I AM IN CENTRAL MANCHESTER OR THE UK. EITHER ALL THE MASTS ARE BUGGERED OR THE NETWORK ITSELF IS AN ISSUE.

Upvote 0
NEW UPDATE

Call dropped while speaking to 3, about calls dropping, IRONIC! A few minutes later I got a voicemail from them, phone didn't ring or anything so signal must have dropped completely. Called them back to speak with someone else who once he'd read all the notes, mentioned his system had stopped responding so he couldn't do anything. USELESS!!!

Upvote 0
Mine is dropping calls - BUT I thik i've narrowed it down to the handover between wirless and GSM. If i'm sat at my desk then the phone is conneted thru my wireless router - but as soon as i go into the kitchen it drops the call - and doesnt seem to have worked out that it needs to use the mobile network.

Anyone had similar or have a solution?

Phil

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones