• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone replaced, now no wifi

drapacioli

Sep 11, 2010
So I brought my Captivate in with an overheating battery. My battery status app said it was at 153 degrees F and I couldn't get it to charge without getting up in the 140s to 150s within 10 minutes. As soon as the AT&T tech saw that and tested it for 30 seconds, he said he'll have to replace the whole thing because there is likely permanent damage done to the phone already. Long story short I didn't like the idea, especially since my captivate has been trouble-free since august without ever experiencing gps or shutdown issues before (only lag, but I could deal with that). Luckily the GPS works great and I haven't had any shutdown issues as of 4 hours in. Problem is now this new one doesn't like my home network. It connected fine when I tested it in the ATT store, but at home my phone shows the wifi alongside 3g, but fails to access the internet. What happened, the other captivate was just fine, not a single issue with wifi except for a random loss of connection once a week or so. What can I do to try and fix it, I don't want to have to drive an hour to the service department again tomorrow just to get a phone that may have a GPS issue instead. What do I do?

Note the phone has 2.1 JH7. I am currently waiting for the new battery to fully charge before Kies allows the upgrade to froyo, but I'm not sure if that will fix the problem.

I'd honestly wait until you get the 2.2 update installed before worrying too much. So many things changed 2.1 -> 2.2 that it's quite possible that there's a weird glitch on your specific that will be cleaned out when you do that.

Also: do you use MAC address filtering on your home router? If so, your phone's MAC address is now different so you'd have to update that. It would cause the symptoms you describe (connecting to other, open wifi networks fine but not your home one).

Not that it doesn't mean it's not truly possible you have a phone with bad wifi hardware but that's not really been a problem people have been reporting, so best to consider the more-likely things first.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones