• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone works after factory reset for only 2 days

zorgan

Lurker
Oct 6, 2010
Hi guys,

I recently bought second hand a Samsung S6, the phone is great - it worked for a couple of days then popped up all of a sudden the weather demon has unfortunately stopped, followed soon after with the pop up dual clock has unfortunately stopped.

the popups continued and noticed "media storage has stopped" come up too

I don't actually think these are errors with the particular services or processes, if it was then I'm guessing just ONE would have an issue.

Cleared Cache first
Factory Reset (here we go again installing all the apps etc)

it seems to work perfectly fine for a few days whilst I get my apps setup etc and then all of a sudden a second time now it's popped up firstly with the weather issue then dual clock etc etc etc

when I boot now it has wallpaper only, I can access the settings sometimes, popups still come up with errors, they are all more or less reputable apps im putting on the phone, so nothing dodgy at all just basic apps such as google ones and well known ones.

Possible issues I can think of causing this.

• ram issue? im not sure I dont think so as it would happen sooner I would think.
  • internal memory issue (corrupt or damaged)? Im not sure it could be as it tends to get to a certain stage then start to freak out (maybe it is storage based?) I also thought this type of memory is really reliable?
  • an update which is causing this or service which is incompatible with the phone or OS? I hope it's this and if it is I can get it disabled.
does anyone know at all what this could be? or have any insight? I would be so grateful thanks.

@zorgan
Run in Safe Mode & introduce one app @ a time until you've determined the culprit.
It has to be something introduced to the device after a factory reset-backup of apps installed.

If you're using any kind of RAM Manager/cleaner/etc.. stop using it immediately,or better yet,uninstall it............

Upvote 0
okay! tried safe mode.......its coming up with a bunch of stuff has stopped still, logs manager or something then media. something then touchwiz home etc :( crap......Im pretty sure if I do a factory reset it will work again though which is strange, the only thing I can think is that the storage is getting a certain % full then its starting to freak out, faulty storage memory maybe? would be a total shame if it was :(

Upvote 0
okay! tried safe mode.......its coming up with a bunch of stuff has stopped still, logs manager or something then media. something then touchwiz home etc :( crap......Im pretty sure if I do a factory reset it will work again though which is strange, the only thing I can think is that the storage is getting a certain % full then its starting to freak out, faulty storage memory maybe? would be a total shame if it was :(
The only other thing I can think of that would be of any help is to use Samsung's SmartSwitch & perform a total re-install of the firmware:
http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/

If problems persist afterwards,I'm led to believe you have a hardware issue.

Reactions: Bg260
Upvote 0
If that works, great. If smart switch gives you a problem, then we can look at Odin.
picture.php

Upvote 0
okay i've since done a test, I did a factory reset again then all was working fine again, I decided to copy large video data onto the phone and fill it up to see if it would act strange again, but it's fine (I thought this would rule out any issues with the NAND memory on the phone and if it was corrupt or something) so I think the NAND memory is okay.

Upvote 0
okay i've since done a test, I did a factory reset again then all was working fine again, I decided to copy large video data onto the phone and fill it up to see if it would act strange again, but it's fine (I thought this would rule out any issues with the NAND memory on the phone and if it was corrupt or something) so I think the NAND memory is okay.

So far,so good,glad to hear it.
That leads me to believe an app you're using is causing the issues,or,if you've delved into the developer options menu & changed some of the factory settings regarding apps running/background processes/etc......
Take a real good look at the permissions of the apps you have installed/going to install.

Again,I strongly urge you to NOT install RAM Managers/Battery savers & the like.
They DO NOT perform anything that the Android system already manages & worse,they're nothing more than Trojan horses mining your personal data & sending it to who knows where.

Anything from Cheetah Mobile/DU/GO & the like have no place on anyone's phone.
My money is on an app you're using & at times,it's hard to tell what is causing the issues.That is why I recommend taking a look at each app & see if the permissions are a bit much.
If so,more than likely,it's a troublemaker.
If you have any ?'s regarding the apps you use,feel free to post 'em here & I can assure you,within minutes,someone here can help determine whether it's a likely culprit of your issues.

Reactions: badcatz
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones