• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Play Books, can you store them in SD card?

MrMister

Nov 15, 2010
I have a Moto E, new to this version of Android as been away a while ;)

So I have some ePub books, I have uploaded them onthr Play Books app, and then clicked to view them offline - great. But as the Moto E as low internal memory, I want to save them on the SD card, how do I do this please? how do I know they are stored on there, when saving for "on device" use

thanks

Sorry, but if you're running KitKat, you cannot write to MicroSD any more. Google is being very mean trying to push us into their cloud. You might consider rooting your device, to get around this ridiculous limitation.

Beware that rooting will void your warranty, and it even might turn your device into an expensive paper weight, so proceed with care.

Upvote 0
Wow! I didn't know that! (I'm still on Gingerbread.) That's a really effed up thing for Google to do. Flexibility and openness are the reasons that many of us chose Android over iPhone. If Google is going to start screwing us like Apple does with iPhone owners, maybe I'll just switch to iPhone next time. I sure as hell won't buy a phone that can't be rooted or jail-broken.

Upvote 0
It's not really as bad as it sounds. So far it seems that it's just steps for Google to incorporate handling of external storage more seamlessly in the future. So far some manufacturers are still tweaking Android to get around this, since despite being on Kitkat I'm still able to set my camera app to save to SD card, as well as use file transferring between folders.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones