• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Playback of split MKV files

loui100

Lurker
Oct 18, 2011
I've got a Samsung Galaxy SII and I'm trying to make it into a mini media player to run HD mkv files. To get around the 4 gb limitation, I uploaded the mkv via explorer, which automatically splits it so that the phone recognizes it as a single file but it is in fact split into many parts. My problem is that no matter which player I use, I'm unable to fast forward/rewind the mkv. It just returns to the beginning of the movie. I imagine it's because of the split files, but does anyone have any idea if there's any fix for this, except converting of course. Any special player? Thx for any input.

Louis

You can try to use Moboplayer. I always use it to playback videos, it can playback fluently. But it do not support hardware decoding, when you playback some HD videos, you still will meet some little things. You can also use this free tool to convert the MKV to MP4 video format and playback with hardware decoding.

By the way, the native player does play MKV files, but t MKV is just a container format which can contain various codecs, only a small subset of which the Samsung Galaxy S can play.

Generally native player can play MPEG-4, H.264/AVC, Dolby Digital (AC-3) and MPEG Audio Layer III (MP3), but also not in all possible variations. E.g. it cannot play some H.264/AVC options.

Native player use the hardware decoding. If you put the right video format in your Galaxy S2, it can playback your video which up to 1080P fluently with best video quality.

Upvote 0
For the Galaxy S II Dice Player is BY FAR the best video player - full hardware decoding support, DTS/vorbis/AC3 audio support, dual channel audio support, a million subtitle options. It's awesome.

Struggle to see why you'd need MKVs larger than 4GB on the SGSII though?

Actually I think not really, MKV format is just a container, the video and audio format is totally various, Galaxy S II can not promise that all of MKV video can playback with the default media player. And the resolution is also a point.

Upvote 0
True in principle, but it's played all of mine in terms of the video (it's wide-codec support is unmatched, and I have a test batch of files with many codecs including some unusual ones and it plays them all). That being the case Dice Player becomes the best media player for it for the reasons mentioned. Not sure what you mean about resolution, SGSII plays 1080p high profile video with high video bitrates without a problem (and before you point out the screen is WVGA the SGSII has MHL so it can output them to an external monitor, so there is actually a reason you want them in HD).

For split MKV files try mkvtoolnix and see if it's split MKV's will play more nicely with the video player of your choice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones