• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help PLEASE HELP! HTC Desire screen won't turn on after it goes on standby

Upvote 0
Not sure. Tried googling for a components map/diagram of the desire but dont have ime to keep looking. May have a nother look tonight.

In regards to the phone shop, he said he can't remember which he took it to. Said it was probably Direct Communications on Toller lane. Sorry thats not very hopeful.

If we can find out that component though, would be very helpful.

On the up side:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HTC-Desire-Br...K_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3a6804e817

Doesn't look like its part of the motherboard... Which is good.

Upvote 0
Do you mean the bit arrowed below?

I think this is probably just the headphone socket, the yellow bit is the switch contact that is used to detect when there is a jack plugged in.

I wouldn't have thought, though, that this could cause your problem.

Desire.jpg

Upvote 0
Siha you are a genius, thank you so much. " it needs a higher voltage" genius

I dropped my phone on friday and even though it worked fine, the phone would not wake on standby.
It would only wake if left for a long time or if I pulled the battery.
So I went the software route first and re installed bootloader, radios and rom but problem persisted.
Then found this thread and siha's comments above, so out come the torx5 and phillips screw driver, scalpel, tweezers and took my desire apart, got to the screen and digitizer and saw a tiny surface mount capacitor (0402) had been knocked from its track, after soldering it, re assembly and swithing on with everything crossed, it works.

So thank you again Siha, and well done HTC for good design.
Ill try and post some pics later.

P.s. it was 1-1 on the void sticker front

Reactions: helenfoz
Upvote 0
...saw a tiny surface mount capacitor (0402) had been knocked from its track, after soldering it, re assembly and swithing on with everything crossed, it works.

Yes, a damaged cap was my suspicion in the end, and I nearly posted as such, because I first thought the earth clips shown in the photo were large ceramics, and one could've been knocked by the headphone socket if it was damaged. Then I looked closer and realised what they were.

Glad you got yours fixed.

Upvote 0
My problem sound the same, playing up after a drop on to a hard surface, screen wont wake after sleeping unless left for a while, but often boots after a battery pull, but not always.

All removeable contacts have been removed, cleaned and re-inserted and factory re-set & flash have not changed anything.

I have stripped mine down (again) and believe I have found the relevant capacitor, but am a bit cautious about wielding the soldering iron until I am certain I have the correct one.

Just bought a 2nd hand DesireHD to upgrade to so once that arrives I will go for broke on the Desire soldering.

I will post pics (if it works) or cry a lot if it doesnt.

For now I have a screensaver that prevents the screen sleeping & have taped up the power button to stop me pressing it by accident, so phone working, just draining power as the screen is never sleeping.

ScruffyMid

Upvote 0
heres the photo, sorry it took a few days.

the small population of components ( dotty things, as my girlfrind calls them, lol) are on the back of the display, its the one at the top, the lower one is the digitiser.

they are very small conponents and you really need a good microscope to see any damage as it could be a crack smaller than a human hair. Or if you have a good digi camera take a pic with macro turned on and zoom in on the pc.

ill put up another pic once ive resized it

Attachments

• Broken cap.JPG
    Broken cap.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 738
Upvote 0
Well I couldn't see any marks on the cap, so can only guess it was the speed the phone hit the floor. It is the track that was broken or pulled off,

I have been pretty lucky with this phone as it was thrown of a double decker bus hit the floor and bounced up to waist level and all it had was a little scuff on the corner, gel cases are great, lol

Upvote 0
Looks like the same thing for me. I've attached pics.

Really scared of soldering the components they are so tiny! I think my soldering iron might be a bit too big too.

Any tips on soldering things this small would be most welcomed!

Attachments

• zoom1.jpg
    zoom1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 649
  • zoom2.jpg
    zoom2.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 611
  • zoom3.jpg
    zoom3.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 600
  • soldering_iron.jpg
    soldering_iron.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 524
Reactions: portantin
Upvote 0
Looks like the same thing for me. I've attached pics.

Really scared of soldering the components they are so tiny! I think my soldering iron might be a bit too big too.

Any tips on soldering things this small would be most welcomed!

Soldering with that iron should be OK, but you should get two things:
A good fine pair of tweezers
Some Sn/Pb solder (not the leadfree stuff that everything is made with now), as it melts at a lower temperature and is generally just easier to use.

And maybe scrape a bit of the resist (the brown stuff) off the copper next to where the track has broken in order to give something good to solder to.

Really, you probably don't even need the tweezers thinking about it, you just need to prod the cap back down gently, clean up some copper and apply a bit of solder to one end at a time. Just don;t hold the iron on for too long (1-2s) otherwise the other end will melt and the cap will come away with the iron.

Honestly, it's not that hard - I've soldered 0201 (0.5,0.25mm) components by hand with a bigger iron than that!

Looks like a good spot to appleata!

Reactions: seagull
Upvote 0
I think that conponent is a 0201 and bigger ones are 0402. Its been 3 years since ive worked on SMT, and the grey matter is getting greyer and the glasses are getting thicker, lol

I wonder if this has happened to anyone else, seems strange that two phones have been dropped and the exact same damage has happened.

and it was Siha Though that lead the way.

Lets hope Helenfoz can get hers fixed.

Upvote 0
Back off my Jolidays, Ebayed HTC Desire HD waiting on doormat, so time to strip the Desire (again), I takes some noticing, but I have the exact same problem !, this Capacitor must be a bad fit, or under tension due to the manufacturing process.

Just waiting for a friend with his temperature controlled soldering Iron & hopefully it will fix OK.

Thanks again !.

Upvote 0
Back off my Jolidays, Ebayed HTC Desire HD waiting on doormat, so time to strip the Desire (again), I takes some noticing, but I have the exact same problem !, this Capacitor must be a bad fit, or under tension due to the manufacturing process.

Just waiting for a friend with his temperature controlled soldering Iron & hopefully it will fix OK.

Thanks again !.

Hope you managed to get yours fixed too! Good luck :)

Upvote 0
Oh well, the capacitor is far too small for me to solder.
I am OK at soldering, but not that good !, you need a microscope, not a magnifying glass !

As such I am listing mine on Ebay later tonight as spares or repair (user scruffymid) if anyone is interested.

Thanks for all the help, and now I have an HD I have to swap Forums !

Upvote 0
Hi guys, I'm having exactly the same problem, so it was a relief to come across this thread!

I just wondered if you had any advice about fixing it. I'm not exactly an expert with soldering irons and I'm worried about just making the problem worse if I try to fix it myself! I've dismantled it and identified that it's exactly the same capacitor that's come loose, but I'd just like some tips/reassurance before I take the plunge!

Upvote 0
Hi I had the same problem.
In call - phone to ear - screen goes blank ...ok - remove from ear to hang up - screen does not come back.... not so ok.
It would come back if forced by other party hang up, but not with landlines.
So only option was to remove battery.

I ' went in' using (skipping the unnecessary micro disassembly) HTC Desire Disassembly Video - YouTube to find the capacitor problem described above. It was ok...?

But being careful to plug in all the connectors nicely I have accidently fixed the issue having now tested and the phone and it works fine.

This was a loose plug issue I think - possibly dust removal - and it is now fixed for good I hope.

Hope this will help some of you.

my desire lives to see what upgrade take my fancy .... HTC VILLE?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones