• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [PLEASE HELP!!!] In need of Major assistance with my ZTE ZMAX

Orion De

Lurker
Jun 26, 2016
I temp and perma rooted my zte zmax with kingroot. I then installed TWRP recovery and attempted to install Cyanogenmod 12.1, I got this error after trying to "E:Unable to mount '/system'." In red letters...I even tried installing the switcher zip as instructed. Each time the installation went thru as if it installed successfully but it would show that same error in red letters. It then told me there's "No OS installed". Now it's just looping at a cyanogenmod boot screen over and over again. I even tried flashing the stock tmobile firmware zip but it gave the same red error despite it looking like it went thru

I never uninstalled TWRP recovery but I'm having trouble getting back into it...is it possible for twrp recovery to uninstall itself and block access to the recovery?

I'm able to access some mode where after I hold down both volume buttons and the power. The screen is blank/black but the red led is still on.

What can I do to get my phone up and running back to stock firmware?

First of all, switcher and restore zips are not needed anymore now that we have a command to turn off the system write protection.

Second the switcher zip you installed put twrp on your boot partition. So in order to reboot into android, you would need to "reboot recovery". Then, when you flashed the stock ROM, because twrp was on your boot partition(and therefore unable to mount the system partition), it(twrp) was overwritten by the stock boot.img(aka kernel) which left your phone with the cm12.1 boot.img on your recovery partition, and the stock boot.img on your boot partition. This is why you can't get into twrp anymore. It didn't uninstall itself. You uninstalled it.

If your phone is in this condition and you can't boot into android there is no way to fix it.

There is one hope, that you just didn't wait long enough for your phone to boot up after you flashed cyanogenmod. Try this. Press and hold power and volume up until you feel the phone vibrate, then release the power button while continuing to hold the volume up button for another 10 seconds.
Once you have done this, put your phone down and DONT TOUCH IT FOR AT LEAST 15 TO 20 MINUTES. If your phone eventually boots into android, reinstall twrp and NEVER flash another switcher. If the phone still hasn't booted into android after 20 minutes then it cannot be fixed and is nothing but spare parts.

All of this could have been avoided by reading the sticky threads at the top of the list. That's why they are stickies, because they contain important info that you need to read.

Upvote 0
First of all, switcher and restore zips are not needed anymore now that we have a command to turn off the system write protection.

Second the switcher zip you installed put twrp on your boot partition. So in order to reboot into android, you would need to "reboot recovery". Then, when you flashed the stock ROM, because twrp was on your boot partition(and therefore unable to mount the system partition), it(twrp) was overwritten by the stock boot.img(aka kernel) which left your phone with the cm12.1 boot.img on your recovery partition, and the stock boot.img on your boot partition. This is why you can't get into twrp anymore. It didn't uninstall itself. You uninstalled it.

If your phone is in this condition and you can't boot into android there is no way to fix it.

There is one hope, that you just didn't wait long enough for your phone to boot up after you flashed cyanogenmod. Try this. Press and hold power and volume up until you feel the phone vibrate, then release the power button while continuing to hold the volume up button for another 10 seconds.
Once you have done this, put your phone down and DONT TOUCH IT FOR AT LEAST 15 TO 20 MINUTES. If your phone eventually boots into android, reinstall twrp and NEVER flash another switcher. If the phone still hasn't booted into android after 20 minutes then it cannot be fixed and is nothing but spare parts.

All of this could have been avoided by reading the sticky threads at the top of the list. That's why they are stickies, because they contain important info that you need to read.

Is there no way to fix the device thru adb? It's still recognized when plugged in

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones