• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please Help New to Android

kitt1993

Lurker
Apr 17, 2011
Hello everyone, my name is Bryan and its been a while since I last came here. I finally upgrade my Sprint account to the Motorola Xprt. Whether you like it or not, its a huge difference from the HTC Snap running on Windows that I had. Ok, so I am having a hard time tying to figure out a few things and thought I would ask the community and see whats the outcome.

First, a few of the key things I like and had with the HTC is the ability to use my personal sounds files for my Text messages, incoming email, power low, new voice mail, etc. I cannot figure out how to do this. It took me about a week to figure out the "adding a folder named ringtone" trick to my Micro SD card so I can access them without accessing my mp3 music. Any ideas as to how I can change these over?

Second, the Alarm really is very low when it plays. If I am streaming music or playing mp3's, it doesn't play the sound files that I want, but a default one instead. This is critical in my line of work as a driver, I need a cat nap every now and then, and I like to stream music when I nap, so its imperative that I can get a better alarm clock that enables me to play my own files and is louder than the factory one.

Third, On the old Windows platform, when someone called me and I missed the call, it would be right one the screen in list form, one missed call and Voice mail. On this phone, I have to tap and drag the small top part of the screen to view my missed calls. Is there a way to have it as a list instead?

Fourth, On the HTC Snap, I used TCPMP to stream music from different websites. The cool thing about it is that I was able to add my own personal music files and playlists. That way as i am driving down the road, if I lost connection, it would bounce to the next line and play stored music until I got into a service area again and I would simply just click on the websites link again. Is there a software out there that will let me do this?

Fifth, Google Voice prefix's. again on the Snap, I had my Google voice set up on phone and my contacts had the prefixes on them as well. When I switch phones, I logged into Gmail, and followed the steps to move over my contacts. Ever thing went fine. The only problem is that this phone is so much faster than the Windows, that it speeds right through all the numbers and commas before the female Google voice has a chance to say anything. Is there a fix to this? Here below is the way its set up on my old phone. when I call Airtran to check a flight during peak hours, its prestored into the contact as this Airtran
my gmail number,,password,2,8002478726# So is the solution to simply add a ton of commas to make it slower? Or is there a real fix for it?

I am sure I will have more Q's in the future and hope this isn't to much to ask.

Bryan

I'll give a few of these a shot...

First, a few of the key things I like and had with the HTC is the ability to use my personal sounds files for my Text messages, incoming email, power low, new voice mail, etc. I cannot figure out how to do this. It took me about a week to figure out the "adding a folder named ringtone" trick to my Micro SD card so I can access them without accessing my mp3 music. Any ideas as to how I can change these over?

Pick up Ring Droid in Google Play. Create your ringtones and then within each application's settings change the notification sound to your preference.

Second, the Alarm really is very low when it plays. If I am streaming music or playing mp3's, it doesn't play the sound files that I want, but a default one instead. This is critical in my line of work as a driver, I need a cat nap every now and then, and I like to stream music when I nap, so its imperative that I can get a better alarm clock that enables me to play my own files and is louder than the factory one.

Regarding the volume, make sure your alarm's volume is at maximum in the Sound settings volume.

Third, On the old Windows platform, when someone called me and I missed the call, it would be right one the screen in list form, one missed call and Voice mail. On this phone, I have to tap and drag the small top part of the screen to view my missed calls. Is there a way to have it as a list instead?

I'm sure there is an app in Google Play that can do this for you. Just search for missed calls or similar.

hth...

Upvote 0
I'll give a few of these a shot...

Pick up Ring Droid in Google Play. Create your ringtones and then within each application's settings change the notification sound to your preference.

Regarding the volume, make sure your alarm's volume is at maximum in the Sound settings volume.

I'm sure there is an app in Google Play that can do this for you. Just search for missed calls or similar.

hth...

Hi Joggy, Thanks for the reply. I got the ring tone figures out EXCEPT for voice mail. I had to create a folder called "notification" on my sd card and then put my files there for it to see them. Now, how do I set my files for voice mail tones? Any idea?

As for the alarm, yes its at max. Apparently this is a problem with this platform. From what I am told. I guess I will have to download a app until I find one I like.

Will do on the missed calls thing.. Again, thank you for your help and if you could assist a little more on the voicemail thing that would be great..

Bryan

Upvote 0
With most apps that can trigger a notification you can change the alert sound in the app's settings.

So for my voice mail app (Google Voice), I go into the app, select Menu->More->Settings->Sync & Notifications and in there I see an option to change the ringtone.

Also another option for your alarm might be to try increasing the volume on a ringtone via a utility like Audacity and then save it back to the phone.

Upvote 0
With most apps that can trigger a notification you can change the alert sound in the app's settings.

So for my voice mail app (Google Voice), I go into the app, select Menu->More->Settings->Sync & Notifications and in there I see an option to change the ringtone.

Also another option for your alarm might be to try increasing the volume on a ringtone via a utility like Audacity and then save it back to the phone.

in your voice mail app for Google Voice, does it play a ringtone for voice messages? And does it do it for both Google Voice numbers and regulars numbers?

I'll give it a try and see what I can figure out.

Bryan

Upvote 0
in your voice mail app for Google Voice, does it play a ringtone for voice messages? And does it do it for both Google Voice numbers and regulars numbers?

Yes. But I only use GV as my VM app for my carrier's number. I do not have my GV number ring through to any other numbers. I would imagine that the setting would apply to either or both if you could set it up that way.

Upvote 0

I'll give it a try and see what I can figure out.

Bryan

It'll do it for both your Sprint number and your Google Voice number. I use Sprint intregation with GV and utilize both my Sprint and GV numbers. All of my outgoing calls us my GV number, though, so be careful of that.

Usually my voicemail gives me a notification sound, not the ringtone. There is a distinction there for Android. A notification sound is usually short to just make you aware of new email, voicemail, etc. Where as a ringtone is just like any other ringtone.

Also, for your alarm clock needs, I highly recommend AlarmDroid. It should give you a lot of functionality that you may appreciate.

Upvote 0
1. Using own sound files for notification: not sure for HTC, but on my Samsung, it has an option to "look in My Files" or "use Android ringtones". An option would probably be to try to go to the sound file, long press and see if there is a "set as __________" option.

2. Try Alarm Clock Plus or Alarm Clock Xtreme

3. Try the Missed It! Widget. Seems to be what you are looking for.

-

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones