Please Help Rooting..

Last Updated:

1. john17548

john17548 New Member This Topic's Starter

First off I know im in the wrong thread but the samsung captivate is not under a list in the root thread.

Iv watched non stop videos on rooting my samsun captivate but none are on mac

I installed the android drivers correctly through terminal but I dont know how to put the update.zip folder in my internal sd correctly

I keep getting E:cant open /sdcard/update.zip

I dont know how to do this on mac..

I know im close..Pleas someone help me..one again im on a mac!

PLEAse help me!

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

If the Captivate has been rooted then a sub-forum will appear very soon. Until then I've moved your post to the regular device forum.

3. DT

DT Well-Known Member

You just need to be able to copy a file to the root directory of the phone. If you can mount the phone like any other type of media (USB drive for example), just copy update.zip to the main memory.

After that it's not computer specific, just follow the same instructions as the PC (using the volume buttons to enter restore mode, etc.)

4. omniuni

omniuni Member

[DT], that requires a rooted boot loader. Unfortunately, the reason that rooting the phones doesn't work under, say, Mac or Linux (I'm a Linux user) is dependent upon the software required. For example, my Motorola Droid required the use of Motorola's update software. I recommend you either find a friend with a Windows computer, or dual boot. (I would avoid virtual machines due to the sensitive nature of the rooting task.)

Once the bios is hacked, though, you should be able to do the update.zip from any OS, and it should stay hacked from then on.

5. Aerimus

Aerimus Well-Known Member

Make sure you don't have a double "zip" in there. In other words, if it's a zip file, you don't need to name it .zip again. If you show the extensions you would have update.zip.zip .

Just a thought, I may be way off, but i've learned to make sure to check the simple things.