• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please post here when you receive ics ota

The specs & ics made me get this phone, even though on "gingerbread".

Same here. I just got it recently, but the whole reason I chose it over others was because it had great hardware specs and I was told it was getting ICS. I can still exchange it if the update doesn't come this week, but I'm not sure I am that picky about it. Sure I would love to have ICS, but I really like this phone more than HTC or Samsung. Maybe downgrade to a crappy free phone then use the store credit to upgrade to the new OptimusG when it releases in Oct.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Brian (Official Rep)2 hours ago
So far there is nothing official to communicate around ICS. Last I was told was LG and Verizon were still discussing TOGETHER a path to take. As far as I know there is no definite set in stone plan and both companies are still discussing. Frustrating to wait, I know, it's frustrating for me as well as I read each of your posts. When I know something definite I will post it, but so far there is not a definite decision that has been made one way or the other.
LG is aware of this thread and all of the discussion taking place here, so thank you for your feedback on this matter. The second I know something official I will post it.

Here's the latest from the LG guy

Upvote 0
Actually guys I posted a complaint via BBB just a day or two ago, and just about 30min ago I got a call from Verizon as well. The resolutions I requested were 1) release the update, or at the very least some information about it, 2) allow me to exchange my phone, or 3) refund so I can buy a phone with ICS. I guess that got their attention; the lady is going to call me back with information regarding the ICS status for the Spectrum. I'll keep y'all posted.

Upvote 0
Actually guys I posted a complaint via BBB just a day or two ago, and just about 30min ago I got a call from Verizon as well. The resolutions I requested were 1) release the update, or at the very least some information about it, 2) allow me to exchange my phone, or 3) refund so I can buy a phone with ICS. I guess that got their attention; the lady is going to call me back with information regarding the ICS status for the Spectrum. I'll keep y'all posted.

emailed a Verizon rep last week. she told me she had no news but to keep checking in with her occasionally to see if there is any thing new. of course i sent the same email to an LG rep and got no reply.

Upvote 0
@MrB: Got my Spec late April of this year, so I don't really expect to be in the first rounds of updates, but it was a refurb so who knows... I mainly posted the complaint to see what kind of response it would elicit from Verizon. Honestly I wasn't expecting what has even happened so far. I got a personalized call/response, and supposedly a higher-level rep is actually checking to see if ICS is being worked on by VZ.

For those who want the TL;DR version about where the whole thing stands right now, read on.

Unfortunately some of the response specific to my complaint might not apply to everyone, because I bought the phone from an "authorized retailer" instead of an actual Verizon store, so I was told I'd have to take up replacement/refund with that store. Still, VZ's responder seemed to try to be genuinely helpful, or at least put on the appearance. After discussing the issue about phone replacement, we talked some about when the update might come, and I got the whole "can't give explicit release date" line; however, she did promise to look into where things were with regards to the update. She checked their update server and stated that there was no update sitting there for us currently. I asked if there was some way she could determine if work was even being done to update our phone, because it seems like nothing is happening, the press releases said "by mid 2012," and now the Spec2 is coming out. She said something about having a Razr and that ICS was delayed for her too, and delays happen. I again said I would just really like to know where everything stands, so I can figure out what I want to do, and even just knowing if VZ was actively working on updating our phone or if they decided to give up on it would help. She then she could thought she could definitely get that info, and she'd get back with me as soon as she finds out what's going on.

Point being, submitting a complaint to the BBB seems gets high-level attention, and if you actually got your phone from a Verizon store, you might even be able to take this further than I have. Either way, more people submitting official complaints would presumably bump up the Spec's priority a bit. Who knows, though?

Reactions: kfj001
Upvote 0
My question was more to see how old it was. If you got the phone 6 months ago or less, they'll probably offer the refund for another.... Otherwise, they'll devise other options.

I certainly don't want a refund, but given all the flaws and issues with the phone, I don't think letting spec owners upgrade early is out of the question. I don't know any spec users that are 'happy' with the phone.... They're all making the best of it like me. I'd gladly upgrade of they offered, but I've had verizon 10 years and my wife worked for them, so I know that it's not likely. :/

Upvote 0
My question was more to see how old it was. If you got the phone 6 months ago or less, they'll probably offer the refund for another.... Otherwise, they'll devise other options.

I certainly don't want a refund, but given all the flaws and issues with the phone, I don't think letting spec owners upgrade early is out of the question. I don't know any spec users that are 'happy' with the phone.... They're all making the best of it like me. I'd gladly upgrade of they offered, but I've had verizon 10 years and my wife worked for them, so I know that it's not likely. :/

I think I may be one of the few that truly dislike this phone.
alot of its problems can be fixed. But I've played with a HTC amaze. And it has the same ram we have. And at the time it was running sense 3.5 on gingerbread. And it ran circles around this phone. If LG would give us a good os. This phone would be amazing.

Upvote 0
I think I may be one of the few that truly dislike this phone.
alot of its problems can be fixed. But I've played with a HTC amaze. And it has the same ram we have. And at the time it was running sense 3.5 on gingerbread. And it ran circles around this phone. If LG would give us a good os. This phone would be amazing.
Agreed with the last part and honestly, if it didn't have the large HD screen, I'd dislike it too. If the OS were reliable, like you said, and if we could get roms to run (it shouldn't be as hard as it is...or maybe LG phones are like that?), it would be a sweet phone. I keep thinking LG will hear all the complaints and give us a solid ICS rom to shut us all up... so I have my fingers crossed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones