• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please post here when you receive ics ota

Not that I like defending the practices or policies of the major carriers (as that they're as customer friendly as prison) but a few facts must be kept in mind when considering your ICS update, and why you probably haven't received one:

1 - The upgrade certification team isn't large
Verizon certifies all updates for devices on their network. This QA team isn't enormous and is responsible for certifying updates for *all* devices, not just the Spectrum. So there is a labor backlog, especially since:

2 - The Spectrum isn't the only device getting their update this season.
Samsung, HTC and Motorola have all pushed out updates to their handsets this month, and in the case of Samsung and Motorola (both high profile devices on vzw) each of those updates (especially for the Droid lineup) need as much QA as any other device (or more in the case of Moto.) Also, some updates are far more emergent than others. Such as...

3 - The HTC Rezound
This ICS update was certified, and released. Then revised in an emergent patch because of latent consumer problems with the upgrade. This patch required priority certification and release, adding to the backlog.

4 - ICS upgrades are not going well for consumers in general.
Tech savvy customers are all clamoring for their upgrades, but when the upgrade lowers the reliability and usability of their handsets, no one wins. Samsung has had very high profile, widespread problems with devices on other carriers when they released their GB->ICS upgrade for the Galaxy SII series, including handsets that have become warranty liabilities. Verizon does not wish its customers to download a certified update only to have it brick or otherwise cripple their phone, so time and care must be taken to ensure that won't happen.

And when it does happen, the integrity of the network comes first, followed by the reliability and integrity of your handset. You aren't its only subscriber, and when you do use your phone, you need, and nay, are entitled to a reliable experience when you do use your phone, for whatever purpose that may be. Objectively, mucking that experience up with a half-baked software update won't make anyone happy - even you, the tech savvy mobile phone consumer.

No one wants a brick.

Upvote 0
Not that I like defending the practices or policies of the major carriers (as that they're as customer friendly as prison) but a few facts must be kept in mind when considering your ICS update, and why you probably haven't received one:

1 - The upgrade certification team isn't large
Verizon certifies all updates for devices on their network. This QA team isn't enormous and is responsible for certifying updates for *all* devices, not just the Spectrum. So there is a labor backlog, especially since:

2 - The Spectrum isn't the only device getting their update this season.
Samsung, HTC and Motorola have all pushed out updates to their handsets this month, and in the case of Samsung and Motorola (both high profile devices on vzw) each of those updates (especially for the Droid lineup) need as much QA as any other device (or more in the case of Moto.) Also, some updates are far more emergent than others. Such as...

3 - The HTC Rezound
This ICS update was certified, and released. Then revised in an emergent patch because of latent consumer problems with the upgrade. This patch required priority certification and release, adding to the backlog.

4 - ICS upgrades are not going well for consumers in general.
Tech savvy customers are all clamoring for their upgrades, but when the upgrade lowers the reliability and usability of their handsets, no one wins. Samsung has had very high profile, widespread problems with devices on other carriers when they released their GB->ICS upgrade for the Galaxy SII series, including handsets that have become warranty liabilities. Verizon does not wish its customers to download a certified update only to have it brick or otherwise cripple their phone, so time and care must be taken to ensure that won't happen.

And when it does happen, the integrity of the network comes first, followed by the reliability and integrity of your handset. You aren't its only subscriber, and when you do use your phone, you need, and nay, are entitled to a reliable experience when you do use your phone, for whatever purpose that may be. Objectively, mucking that experience up with a half-baked software update won't make anyone happy - even you, the tech savvy mobile phone consumer.

No one wants a brick.

Very well said. Also, nobody wants o replace all of those bricks.

Upvote 0
I'm getting really sick of this. My last phone, the Droid Charge, was also left behind on 2.3. And the truth is that ICS isn't really *that* great. All those people claiming ICS is lag free are being dishonest. What I really want is Jelly Bean. After using CM10 on my HP Touchpad the difference in responsiveness and speed is night and day. Seriously, the browser in Jelly Bean is just unfathomably fast.

At this rate, unless the rumors of there being 5 next-gen Nexus devices are true, I'm moving to WP8 whenever I get my next phone. The whole update process for non-Nexus Android devices is just broken.

Upvote 0
Comparing a tablet to a phone is being dishonest (to take a phrase from your own post). They're different in how they display content and require more video card power than a phone; poorly configured roms can appear to be laggy and slow on a tablet, whereas they're fine on a phone.

ICS runs on phones far better than gb, but on tablets, ics is laggy and has issues that are resolved by jb. I've compared gb to ics on past phones and the improvement was noticeable. On my tablet, the performance of jb was far improved over ics (sans the wifi issues), but it was designed for tablets in mind.

Reactions: ghavas09
Upvote 0
timing0 and woahdroid: the post of kfj001 really resonates with me. i think there are delays for all of the reasons cited in that post.

my impression has been, LG has been on top of mods needed for GB, and had a OS upgrade ready early. Perhaps it needed to undergo further testing - but I think the other OEMs with all the other phones needing upgrades slowed things up appreciably.

when ICS is served up I'm hoping we don't need napkins.

Reactions: ghavas09
Upvote 0
I'm getting really sick of this. My last phone, the Droid Charge, was also left behind on 2.3. And the truth is that ICS isn't really *that* great. All those people claiming ICS is lag free are being dishonest. What I really want is Jelly Bean. After using CM10 on my HP Touchpad the difference in responsiveness and speed is night and day. Seriously, the browser in Jelly Bean is just unfathomably fast.

At this rate, unless the rumors of there being 5 next-gen Nexus devices are true, I'm moving to WP8 whenever I get my next phone. The whole update process for non-Nexus Android devices is just broken.

I feel your pain. My spectrum was left out of official ics too. And I've tried jellybean on it And it is faster than ics. But. With the way jb is now. I'd rather have ics. Protected apps don't iinstall properly. It was a security thing to stop piracy. But atom launcher. And any other app I've used that fall in that category don't save data after a reboot.

That may be fixed in the next update for jb. Not sure.

I'd use a feature phone before switching to windows again. They lock down the os so much

Verizon is slowly causing me to lose faith. My 3rd replacement came yesterday. And it has half burned out pixels in the bottom corners. The 4th will be here tomorrow. I'm beginning to think they are sending me defect phones on purpose

Upvote 0
how the heck is it skeptical if there was already a leak for it and the ics user manual was leaked too.
Not to mention, LG and VZW would then be committing out and out fraud, as it WAS promised, in black and white, that the phone would receive the update, and if they just decided oh well not gonna, they would get sued through the nose.

Upvote 0
Not to mention, LG and VZW would then be committing out and out fraud, as it WAS promised, in black and white, that the phone would receive the update, and if they just decided oh well not gonna, they would get sued through the nose.

On October 1, I will be in my local Verizon store with my specturm and my contract. If the spectrum doesn't have ICS, I won't leave with the phone or the contract. Unless they give me a damn good phone to make up for it :D. I hope others are thinking this way too.

Upvote 0
On October 1, I will be in my local Verizon store with my specturm and my contract. If the spectrum doesn't have ICS, I won't leave with the phone or the contract. Unless they give me a damn good phone to make up for it :D. I hope others are thinking this way too.

I am not. I am extremely happy with the function of my phone on the GB based Black Plague Rom. It does everyting i need and want it to do, and does so very well (imo). I would love to have ICS, dont get me wrong here, but im not gonna loose any sleep or get my torch and pitch fork out over it. i under stand it was promised, and that would be super shitty if its not delivered. however it will not be the end of the world for me, i feel i have bigger fish to fry than a cell phone OS update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones