• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Poor call quality?

the first few calls i made were great, then yesterday i noticed a call i got this hissy sound, i thought maybe it was just a bad connection, then every call since has been this way. it sounds like the speaker is blown, like a rattling voice coil.

I'm going to the store today to see what they can do

Upvote 0
mine does the same thing. every word is 'crackling' or 'rattling', every call since i got the evo. tinny is a great way to describe it as well. talking on my evo is unbearable. im on the list to get a replacement Monday 6-8-2010.

could an OTA update fix this?
idk, sounds more like the speaker itself is defective

hopefully i can get mine exchanged today

Upvote 0
I also immediately noticed the buzzing when speaking to my wife though (not the usual wife buzzing sound :)). I went to 2 different best buys, and both of their demo phones did the same thing. I'm still trying to find the exact words or pitches that do it. I tried calling movie phone when I was at best buy.

The "tiny-ness" of the phone sucks, but I'm okay with that. It's the buzzing that drives me insane.

Upvote 0
Well I can tell you the sound on mine sukz. With my hero I never turned my volume up all the way but on the evo theres not enough volume to cover up road noise of a car.
menu > settings > call select hearing aids
Does your new one have the same problem or sounds much better?
sounds great like my first one did the day i got it

Upvote 0
mine does the same thing. every word is 'crackling' or 'rattling', every call since i got the evo. tinny is a great way to describe it as well. talking on my evo is unbearable. im on the list to get a replacement Monday 6-8-2010.

could an OTA update fix this?

Same problem with mine. Audio quality is horrible. There is a night and day difference between my EVO and my Incredible. The Incredible's audio level is also much higher. I can barely hear the other caller on the EVO. With the hearing aid enabled, the volume level is o.k., but this increase comes with a lot of added distortion.

Upvote 0
Same problem with mine. Audio quality is horrible. There is a night and day difference between my EVO and my Incredible. The Incredible's audio level is also much higher. I can barely hear the other caller on the EVO. With the hearing aid enabled, the volume level is o.k., but this increase comes with a lot of added distortion.
you might have a bad earpiece, maybe you should go to the sprint store and see if you can compare it with another evo

Upvote 0
This is my only gripe with the phone. Everything is great but the earpiece sucks. Like others have said, when turned up (which it HAS to be as it's quiet and tinny) the thing crackles when someone says an "S". So annoying. Luckily I don't talk on the phone a lot and when I do it's either in the vehicle system or a BT headset so I don't mind THAT much, but it still is sucky.

Upvote 0
I posted this on a few different threads where this issue came up. I was having the same problem. It was horrible and so bad my ears felt like they were ringing after a 5 minute phone call. Someone on this forum suggested updating the profile and PRL and it is MUCH better now. I can actually stand to talk on the phone now! Try it and see if it helps. :)

Upvote 0
i noticed this as did the wife (we both have EVOs) and I found that mine sounds so much better than hers. We traded and she agreed. The only difference is that I was on a 1.5 cal with tech support for an issue with a computer, whereas she wasn't. I wonder if the speaker might not break in slightly with use, as with other speakers. Good home speakers only get better as the cones and diaphragms loosen and I wonder if the same isn't true with this phone. I would like to see if the wife's gets better as well the more she talks on it. Has anyone else noticed theirs getting better as they use it? I wold have thought it the placebo effect, except she noticed it right away after using my phone and I noticed hers sounded more like mine used to. Maybe we should just call somewhere and get put on hold for hours until the speakers sound better!! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones