• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root {Port} Galaxy for the BeHold 2 123 install done right

ya that would be the problem, restart your computer, keep pressing the F8 and then choose disable signed drivers, do this every time your boot back up if you plan on moding your phone

I have Win7 64-bit and had the issue with the adb driver from the behold pack, the solution is to use this adb driver: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

It'll say galaxy when it's installed if you look in device manager (adb devices still reads correctly), but it works fine and you don't have to do a special boot every time.

I'm pretty sure that's the right link, I searched for the filename I had on my computer and came up with that because I had a hell of a time finding it the first time. Let me know if it doesn't work and I'll just upload the file I have somewhere I guess.

Edit: My mistake, it says Galaxy in the devices and printers window.

Upvote 0
Alright actually got to play with the phone after some sleep, this is what I noticed changed that I dont like:

Vibrate not working (I knew it was not going to)
Texting keyboard not roatating
End key not the home key anymore (heard there was an app that can fix that)
Contacts in sim got deleted (it never sync'd my contacts to google gotta try to export from tmobiles site)

May be more, have not played with it a ton. Sorry if these issues are a repost, just showing my experience.

Upvote 0
BH_MAN, I didn't read all the thread because i'm really short on time, so forgive me if i repeat something you already addressed! Also I have none of my code or notes here, so all from memory...

First off WELL DONE! Finally someone who has a Bh2 taking interest in continuing the work :) I'll give you some ideas/hints to progress in random order:

- Search the galaxy forum for a few posts I made about tweaking for more memory. Although you have alot of memory available you can kill off useless processes like NPS etc and save processor cycles. It also makes a big difference on battery. You should incorporate these into your ROM.

- Check out the GALAXO custom ROM and its init.rc We added a bunch of vmcache tweaks in there which will significantly improve the caching android does. You wont be able to put these in the init.rc unless you replace the boot image, but you can run them in playlogo, since that runs AFTER the init.rc

- Check out the 'black bar' mod, which involves a hexedit in one of the frameworks. do a google search for it, or take the libraries from the galaxo ROM to get it. You will also get the newer icons if you use the galaxo framework

- Consider deleting the dalvik cache after installing the ROM (before the final reboot). This will force the cache to be regenerated for all the 'new' apps (galaxy apps), and deleted for old removed apps (bh2 apps) - and using the new libraries. This will speed up the system and save RAM.

I suggest after these mods you're kind of at your limit with 1.5. For Kernel, 1.6 and 2.x:

There are several issues with just dropping over a galaxy built kernel, or an ASOP kernel. Check out the galaxy 2.x project and build their kernel for 2.x. They have fixed the RIL problems, wifi problems and ALOT of others too.

If you google there is an easy way to turn on linux console. That will show you the dmesg on the screen of the phone AS it boots. No timing issues with running logcat quickly, and you'll get messages right from kernel load. You will see why it boot loops or dies and be able to recitfy the issues one by one.

You will most likely have a couple of driver issues, just drop in the behond2 drivers from its source, and slowly slowly you'll get it to boot.

Also remember the partitions are different on the bh2 than any other android phone. You may need to add the driver, and definatly will need to mod the init.rc

Don't waste your time building the behold 1.5 sources. They have missing patches so wont build. Also it wont get you much further in the ROM.

I'm sure you know when you copy a kernel you also need to copy its libmodules into the /system/libmodules too right?

I think the main thing to focus on is to get a bootable kernel. Then we don't need to mess around with playlogo, and don't need a new exploit to root every time. We can also insert tweaks in init.rc directly.

Good luck, and good job so far

PS. I suggest you EDIT you're first post each time, otherwise people will miss your updates.

Upvote 0
well done, fine job and thank you for all the hard work so far. Looking forward to seeing and testing your updates. Using the Bh2_Gal_droid+. So off we go...is it posible to get the Sammy camera from the uvij6 and port it to this build
I noticed "About phone" has model no. Galaxy but the Baseband and Kernel versions are still the original Bh2 values. Will that be a problem moving forward in the Galaxy ROM threads to 1.6 or 2.x?
thanks
again Great work.

Upvote 0
I just noticed JB2 (1.6 for galaxy) firmware was released by samsung!

Have you tried running this on the BH2 with existing kernel?

Thank you Kam187,

Those inputs are something for me to go on & Definitely will take the time to look them up.. I have Hexed over a Edited kernel & able to flash it, but I'm sure I'm adding it in wrong as the result's are a Boot loop..

Regarding the 1.6, I'll dig into that asap & thank you for everything!

Upvote 0
The Behold Factory Rom is Done now & uploading as I type this, Merging the Advance Launcher into the Twiz launcher was a Bigger Challenge then I thought it would be...

The Rom call to Functions in the Twiz launcher that control's vital part of the Rom, which was why I merged it, Rather than Delete the Call's...

I'll Make a New Post for the Behold 2 Rom, but Finally got it done & working.

Upvote 0
I just noticed JB2 (1.6 for galaxy) firmware was released by samsung!

Have you tried running this on the BH2 with existing kernel?

Can Somebody Repost the JB2 Image somewhere else other than Mediafire?
I can't ever download from there & When I click Download nothing happens..

Thanks if you can do this...
Faster I get it, the Faster I can start working on it.

Upvote 0
Can Somebody Repost the JB2 Image somewhere else other than Mediafire?
I can't ever download from there & When I click Download nothing happens..

Thanks if you can do this...
Faster I get it, the Faster I can start working on it.

Here you go a mirror to the JB2 firmware: Index of /files/i7500/donut/

Reactions: BH_MAN
Upvote 0
I am in dire need of some help here.

So I've been following the guides listed in this thread. I have SDK installed with my paths set correctly, I think. This whole ADB thing is confusing me. I have made sure my phone settings are correct as far as debugging mode and PC studio.

My problem is trying to get my computer to work with the USB drivers. When I go to install the driver that I downloaded for the BH2, I get this message after installing drivers:

errormsg.png

So when I go into command prompt and type adb devices, it just says "List of devices attached".

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Wow this is insanely fast, even with multiple widgets running on multiple windows. Smooth transitions, apps open quickly, looks beautiful, and doesn't have stupid programs.

BH_MAN: You are the man. Thank you for this! And thanks to you as well Paul for helping me.

One last question, I made sure to do the factory reset, but I still have some of my apps on there such as Open Home, Weather Widgets, etc... They all appear to work fine, but I thought a reset got rid of all that. Any thoughts?

Also, what's the latest with the vibration coming back to life? Thanks again!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones