• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Possible to use tethering to create hotspot via laptop?

Caperi

Lurker
Jul 18, 2010
I've never expiremented with ad hoc networks, nor do I have an EVO yet, so this might be completely far-fetched, but is it possible? What I'm saying is...

1. Use one of the free/one time fee tethering apps
2. You now have internet on your Windows laptop
3. Set up an ad hoc network to share your internet
4. Connect other devices to that network

Would that work?

Along a similar line, I have a Cradlepoint MBR 1000 router. Does anyone know if I can plug my EVO into the router to share my internet connection? I would basically be using the EVO like a USB modem. The only reason I would need to do this, my Dish Network box needs to be plugged in for internet use, it doesn't have wifi.

Upvote 0
Along a similar line, I have a Cradlepoint MBR 1000 router. Does anyone know if I can plug my EVO into the router to share my internet connection? I would basically be using the EVO like a USB modem. The only reason I would need to do this, my Dish Network box needs to be plugged in for internet use, it doesn't have wifi.

no, you cant plug your evo into a router ....... wow

But you can plug your evo to a computer and share the internet connection. Then connect your router to your computer and distribute like that.

Upvote 0

But you can plug your evo to a computer and share the internet connection. Then connect your router to your computer and distribute like that.

Do you mean an adhoc connection while sharing internet should work? I just got my Evo yesterday and I couldn't get the computer to share the internet it was getting from the phone.

Upvote 0

Actually, it is possible to share it out via a router assuming the router has support for it. In the case of his router, it *does* support some HTC Sprint phones along with a variety of USB aircards.

sEA, it might be possible with that router's latest firmware since it does support the HTC Touch, and a lot of HTC Android devices use similar drivers for their USB connections. It might be a long shot, but if you've already got the phone it might work.

Caperi, you'll have to use Internet Connection Sharing, or maybe bridge the two connections within Windows. I'm assuming you at least can use the phone as a modem ok with that one machine, but can't share the computer's connection out. You'll probably have to have a wired or a second wireless connection to bridge your local network with your ad-hoc connection with your phone.

It'd be easiest to have the Evo share itself out as an adhoc wifi connection, then link in thataway with all your other computers. Once you start getting into changing the physical layer, ICS, and other odds and ends things get a good bit more complicated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones