• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root possibly the first EVER bricked droid - HELP!

hi everyone!

mine's a pretty long story so ill try and make it as short as possible w/ bullets!

• milestone bought in china (where there is no official release) hence it's a grey import
  • phone was flashed (w/out my knowledge) with a custom chinese language rom, hence im assuming it was rooted
  • i manually flashed with rds lite back to an official hong kong moto rom (2.0.1) so i could get english language back
  • at this point still wasnt aware the phone had been rooted so did a straight flash without un-rooting and it worked fine
  • a few days in i changed sim cards in my phone and things started acting odd. phone froze a little but came back on - put in pocket and when i pulled it out again it wouldnt boot up - only backlight would light - no splashscreen, no moto logo, no nothing
  • did batt pulls, recharges and still nothing - the screen wont even blink (cept backlight)
i'm assuming that this may have something to do with the fact that i didnt unroot the phone before i put the stock rom back on the phone? is there anywhere back from this situation? i tried to connect adb to my phone to try to get into recovery but adb cant see the device...yet rds lite can when i boot with power+dpad up. so the phone is still in there somewhere! ive installed all the moto drivers but of course, am not sure my phone is set to debug mode as i cant access the system....perhaps that why i cant see it.

needless to say, i have no sprecovery or anything installed as i hadnt realised the phone was rooted earlier (my stupid oversight....) sigh :(

the only other person that displayed similar problems i found is on this thread - cept he eventually could access adb as he knew what he was doing previous to installing a stock rom over a custom one

Only seeing black screen; your help is needed! - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

before any of you tell me to take it back to verizon...i cant, as its not from verizon and there is no refund as its a grey import. the repair shop here in SH cant work out a way to fix it either....my last hope is here so pls let me know what i can do!

i love my droid :(

The Milestone and Droid are 2 different beats, unfortunately anything we would do to fix our Droid's wouldn't work for your Milestone. And flashing a stock ROM on a rooted Milestone with rsd lite wouldn't have caused this, it wouldn't have messed anything up. You need to contact Motorola or try flashing the sbf file again with rsd lite. Also use a wall outlet to charge your Milestone back up not USB as it won't give enough power.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
thanks for that, but surely there are similarities in how you would go about trying to access a bricked milestone.

ive tried to flash diff versions of the sbf via rds lite to my phone to no avail - boots a blank screen with just the backlight on...

i would try to blind navigate the recovery console but up till now its not proven too successful

any help appreciated...thanks!

Upvote 0
thanks for that, but surely there are similarities in how you would go about trying to access a bricked milestone.

ive tried to flash diff versions of the sbf via rds lite to my phone to no avail - boots a blank screen with just the backlight on...

i would try to blind navigate the recovery console but up till now its not proven too successful

any help appreciated...thanks!

It may be the same hardware but the software is very different. M-Shield is enabled on the Milestone and it has digital signatures which prevents you from flashing any new bootloaders or recoveries. The only thing you can do to fix it is use RSD Lite with a MILESTONE SBF file, but if that isn't working then you need to contact Motorola. You could try using ADB but I don't know what you can actually do to fix this if RSD Lite didn't work. I wish we could help you but unfortunately the Milestone is severely limited compared to the Droid.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones