• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Potentially moving from iOS..!

@Gingersnap I will post later from my Mac.

@Stuntman I think the large screen is my favourite part of the handset! I am now using the SwiftKey trial though. Heaps better than than the Samsung one.

As for LTE - I am in the UK where LTE is a few years ahead of us still. EE is introducing 4G to the UK later this year, but after some research their speeds will be slower than our 3G (let alone HSPA) for the first few months. We like to take things slow in the UK!

Upvote 0
Yeah I get H+ most the time at home too. I'd say in response to to the smoothness, Jelly Bean will definitely improve if not make it better than the iPhone 5 especially with Project Butter.

I'm sure it will improve it, but I can't imagine it bringing the animations up to iPhone smoothness. Don't get me wrong, I'd still take my S3 over an iPhone 5 any day, but animation is something iOS has always had down to perfection. I read that it's because when you're animating in iOS (dragging, or any kind of animation) any other processing stops to allow for the animation to be perfectly handled by the processor.

Edit: Here's an article explaining why Android animations have always been, and may always be, worse than iOS'.

Upvote 0
I'm sure it will improve it, but I can't imagine it bringing the animations up to iPhone smoothness. Don't get me wrong, I'd still take my S3 over an iPhone 5 any day, but animation is something iOS has always had down to perfection. I read that it's because when you're animating in iOS (dragging, or any kind of animation) any other processing stops to allow for the animation to be perfectly handled by the processor.

Edit: Here's an article explaining why Android animations have always been, and may always be, worse than iOS'.

True. But wanna hear something... that is indeed a big plus for Apple side and I admit, the smoothness of the iOS animation is awesome but things like this could backfire their own iPhone IF THEY DON'T start to IMPROVE THEIR PHONE HARDWARE WISE . If not they would be jailed from their same iOS and can't compromise some changes because the specs of the iPhone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones