• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Power button finally breaks

Incakola

Android Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2012
Lake Worth, FL
I had my N5 since the month it came out and i guess the power switch finally became faulty. Just last night my phone started doing random battery simulated battery pulls as if I was holding the power button. I did get my phone boot finally without shutting off by repeatedly pressing the power button until button eases from being stuck. I tried opening it and taking out the motherboard from the phone to inspect it but the switch looks okay and I guess there's a bad rubber cushion in these switches? Buying a new motherboard is out of the question for just a bad switch. I've already set my phone up with power on/off gestures found in a kernel or ROM.

Is there a thread or anyone have an answer/suggestion that specifically addresses a faulty power button? By faulty button I mean by the actual function of a i/o button, I don't care about the rattling issue...

Last edited:
Presumably it's out of warranty, or you wouldn't be taking it apart.

I don't know how things are on your side of 'the pond', but here, even if a warranty has expired, manufacturers are obliged to repair or replace if it can be shown that there was a manufacturing fault (and the product is not unreasonably old - I don't think there's a definitive figure here, though). Your problem sounds like it could be.

Upvote 0
Alright I'll try that.

Update: Not gonna bump the thread because there's no real solution to this. As expected I called a google service rep and they could not help because of the expired warranty. Only option here is to call lg and pay for this repair. Not going to do it so I'm just going to wait it out until I get another phone (the n6 maybe).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones