• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PRIVATE NUMBER. Something a Bit Different.

mwr123

Lurker
Jun 19, 2013
Checked all over the WWW and found nothing on this topic.

Got my phone (Galaxy 3) back from a now EX-Friend.

Here is the situation:

1) Phone Log shows eight or nine OUTGOING calls as "Private Number" lasting from: not being answered to a couple of minutes, most in the less than a minute time range.

2) Phone Log shows NO INCOMING calls from a "Private Number."

3) There is NO "Private Number" listed in the Contacts List.

4) There is no "Private Number" listed anywhere else on the phone I can find to include INCOMING and OUTGOING SMS.

My Question. What is going on here and is there a way I can reviel the actual OUTGOING "Private Number(s)?" I am a bit fearful of calling the "Private Number" as I have NO idea who it may be or where on earth they could be.

Thanx in Advance,

mwr123
newbie member

Lesson Learned. NEVER let a "Friend" borrow your phone.

Reactions: Kingnino
You list a private number when you don't want people to see yours. It will show up in a call as "Private Number" instead of someone in your contacts.

My friend does that to me and drives me crazy since I use special ringtones.

She does have a Galaxy with Sprint, and there is a setting on her phone.

My Nexus 4 has a setting for caller ID. "Use default operator setting for incoming and outgoing calls" Under that, there is another menu.

You don't have to sync contacts, either. Most of mine aren't synced with Google and the numbers and ringtones work.

Upvote 0
"Private number" is what shows on the call log when the other party has caller ID blocked or disabled.
All,

Thanx for the replies but I am lost. :(

These are all OUTGOING calls with "Private Number" in the Call Log.

My phone works normally. I call, you see the number. Now .....

Are you saying:

a) If I call a number that is ID Blocked I will get "Private Number" in my OUTGOING Call Log? Or ...

b) My friend turned on ID BLOCKING on my phone, made a call and then turned it off again?

Thanx for taking the extra time .....

V/r, mwr123

Upvote 0
On outgoing calls, your ID was most likely turned off. It's fairly easy to do from the dialer>settings>additional settings.

I would say your friend was being considerate by turning off caller ID on your phone when making personal calls. You wouldn't want return calls to him coming to your number.
I tried turning my ID OFF and made a call.

Then checked the OUTGOING Call Log. Number showed up as usual so that is not it.

Any other suggestions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones