• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help problem with data use ...

donmeca2020

Dec 17, 2010
Hollywood, Florida
after receving the T-moblie 190 meg update. apparently the next day i surpassed my cap of 200 megs for the month.

now as i check here and there on my small to mobile app that shows my usage of mins,texts,data im now 26 megs OVER my cap.....

my question is If im not checking emails, i turned off the GPS function. and im honestly not using any apps, where the hell is my data being sucked from ???

list of apps just in case
bad piggies
chrome
fancy widgets
flixster
happy hours
iheartradio
jellybean Hd theme
mixology
POF dating app
YPmobile
Zedge

also i honestly don't use any of them frequently other then the POF app here and there. but as i said above after my cap was passed for this month i literally haven't been using any data at all yet it still keeps being used by something. thanks for any help guys

Using your data plan for the OTA update ate up nearly all of your data for the month.
Make sure to use WiFi whenever possible for updating things like that :thumbup:

Af for the rest (20mb) of it...
Its probably eaten up rather quickly by Email, weather, facebook, ect syncing and market updates to apps. Most of this will go on in the background if you have it set up do do so. Go into your accounts and sync settings and see how often and what you have syncing. Uncheck anything you dont use

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Guys thanks for all the quick responses. when i did the update the phone was connected via WIFI. apparently it must have been going in and out of WIFI.... i called and tryed to clarify things with t mobile, because at first i was unaware of how in the hell this happened.... after i seen that i used 190. megs of data the day prior i put two and two together.

since that day i have disabled my GPS, which i usually always keep on and have not used anything. i have not checked emails, have not checked POF when i received a message or update. :eek: nor anything really. but i notice even when the bill cycle started fresh this past month. It immediately suck up. 0.5 megs of data.....

I'm going to try un syncing a few things on here like one of you said. hopefully that can help. as for my data amount of only being 200 megs a month. thats usually really all i need. considering im just checking emails mostly, and my pof here and there. i usually get very close to my cap but never surpass it. so needless to say im pissed this thing is up to 226 megs..... BLAHHH :mad:

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
since that day i have disabled my GPS, which i usually always keep on and have not used anything. i have not checked emails, have not checked POF when i received a message or update. :eek: nor anything really. but i notice even when the bill cycle started fresh this past month. It immediately suck up. 0.5 megs of data.....
The problem is, even though you arent physically opening the app and looking at your new emails or messages from POF, your phone is still actively searching for those updates in the background. Its this background sync that I suspect is eating data. Go into the apps and make sure they aren't checking for new messages every 10 minutes if you really dont need it to.

I'm going to try un syncing a few things on here like one of you said. hopefully that can help.
:thumbup: I think thats a good plan

Upvote 0
If you go to the stock data counter and tap on an app, it shows a pie-chart of foreground/background data use, there's a box you can check to "restrict background data" for that app. Have a look and see whats been eating it. If you dont need it to use data in background, check the box :thumbup:
Yes, that app is surprisingly useful! You can narrow the range of time it reflects down to 1 day by moving the vertical lines and see what used the data. That's how I found out I used about 300 mg in a little over 1 hour of music streaming on MOG over a day and a half. Had to uncheck that "Default to 320 kbps" option!

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
If you are that bothered, can you not just turn the data connection off, so you can only use wireless. You can always turn it on if you are out and need to check anything.

This. If you don't want to use data then turn data off. Then just flick it on when required and off again.

My only other advice is to up that data plan, 200mb really isn't all that much for a phone like this bud.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
The trouble with that is that when you turn it back on, everything will just sync. Better to disable it on a per-app basis i think :thumbup:

Just disable sync as well then ;)

I always have sync disabled on my phone anyway, I still get notifications for Facebook, whatsapp, twitter etc.

The ease of use having them in the notification area means it's so easy to switch on/off. A massive plus for this phone :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones