• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problems installing updating apps

redlinezak

Sep 8, 2010
I seen to have a problem installing and updating pretty much all apps from the market.
I am running anbranded and unrooted deisre on 2.2.
I have successfully downloaded nearly 50 apps from the market but recently it doesnt seem to install any apps including updates.
I did find one that was ok (retro camera which i tried just to see) but it wont update sppedview, folder organizer lite or quick system info pro. It also doesnt seem to want to let me install quite a few other apps that i have tried (some alarm apps and some poker ones.
Can anyone shed any light on why this may be happening.

Thanks

Nathan

I have just tried moving the 3 apps to be updated to the phone from the SD card (i am using the move apps to SD card without root function) and they have all successfully updated now but this still doesnt allow me to install new apps.

Any help much appreciated and i dont want to have to move all my apps to the phone as i will very quickly run out of space.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Well just found a couple of things suggested on tinternet but none of them worked for me.
Its not just us that are having the problem though there are many people experiencing the same issue but it does seem most common on the HTC brands and especially the desire.
I cannot fathom how HTC deemed it appropriate to bestow the desire with such woeful storage space and it spoils an otherwise superb handset.

Upvote 0
OK just to update in an attempt to start seeing if we can get to the bottom of this problem here is a list of what i have tried.

Cleared all Data and Cache in the 'market' app under 'all apps section'
Logged onto my google mail account on the pc and changed my password and then went back to market and entered my new password to get it to re authorise the account or something.
Opened up googel talk application and logged out and back in and the retried market.

None of these have made any difference.

The only thing i have found is that one app that updated straigh away is the google mail app but i am assuming this is because it is defaulted to the phone memory.
I can still update apps by moving the back to the phone, updating them then moving them back to the SD card.
Still cannot download any new apps though.
I think there must be something in the market that looks for where the app is supposed to be and if it isnt then it wont allow the update. Also maybe if an app is supposed to be installed to the phone but we are trying to force it to the SD card then that may be why we cannot download it.

Either way it does seem to be this modification to the download location that is causing the issue.

Upvote 0
Redlinezak,

I appreciate your work on this. I have an Eris phone and all of my apps are in phone memory.

Another issue I'm having is that I've restored my AppBrain App Market from a backup and it keeps being deleted.

I have a rooted phone so I'm going to research this issue for rooted Eris phones and see if Google is doing something. I've read that Google and Verizon (my carrier) can delete apps remotely if they believe that there is a violation of user agreements by the customer (us in this case).

I'll post whatever I find out. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Redlinezak -

I found these instructions and they worked wonderfully for me::D

1. go to your settings,

2.then select "manage applications" ,

scroll down to,

3. "Checkin Service" then select "clear data"
4. ."Download Manager" then select "clear data"
5. ."Google Apps" then "clear data"
6. "Google Talk Service" then select "clear data"
7. " Market" then select "clear cache"

............not sure which one did it, but worked for me, hope it's of some assistance to you,..d

Here's the site link that I found these instructions at: What can I do to fix my " Download Unsuccessful" issue - Android Market Help

I know you said you had cleared cache and data, but the thread where I found these instructions suggests that data and cache loads in Download Manager and Market may be the real culprits. I hope this works for you.

Upvote 0
Well i have just tried all the potential fixes listed on the thread that you posted and still nothing.
Starting to lose patience with the whole android/htc thing now. It seems that its a great platform but its just not ready yet when compared to some of the other OS's (iphone and blackberry). Its great that its open source but all thats useless if it just isnt reliable which (coupled with the desire memory situation it just doesnt seem to be.

Upvote 0
Im still having issues with this although i did manage to get 1 update done by unmounting the SD card but i still cant see that apps that are located on the SD card can update if it is unmounted?

I am now trying to figure out if this is a phone issue or an issue with my google mail account or something. I dont want to restore the fctory settings just yet as many people have said that it hasnt helped the problem which means i could lose my current apps.

If its the phonethat is causing the problems then i can just get a new one from orange or HTC but i dont want to do that if i am going to have the same problem.

Any more help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Nath

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones