• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problems Unrooting

hood420

Android Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2010
Lansing, MI
I am having problems unrooting my Hero. I downloaded the RUU from geek for me and went through process as instructed. It goes through most of the process alright but ends with this error message:

Error [110]: File open error

The ROM Update Utility cannot open the requested files or the files are damaged. The RUU cannot continue with the update.

Please get a complete RUU package and try again.

Right now the phone won't get past the HTC screen, and wont power off without removing the battery.

I had the same problem last week after rooting for the first time and screwing some things up.

I followed this and it worked like a charm, unrooted my phone then rooted again and now working like a charm.

To make sure it worked I actually rooted and unrooted 3 times just to make sure I was comfortable.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=654119

Make sure to download the zip in the second post in the thread, I used those files exactly to fix mine.

Upvote 0
SHEESH! really? wow...if this works (will try tonight) then that sticky should be ripped down, because it screwed up my phone and sounds like a lot of other peoples. and that messed up thing is that its at the very top of the rooting stuff. man...what a pain in the butt. dude, i am so new to this too...this is a lot of info for me in one day. is there any way i could get in touch with you if something doesn't go right, or i have a question while i'm doing this later tonight?

Upvote 0
Actually having a party tonight, but I'll check my PM's on here through my phone from time to time if you want to PM me.

Just make sure to get the files from the Hero200.zip in the second post and follow it to the letter.

Also make sure you have your original nandroid backup that you should have made right after rooting before flashing any new roms.

3 times in a row I locked my phone up on the HTC screen with RUU on purpose just to make sure this worked, and every time I got it back up and running.

One thing he didn't mention, which probably doesn't need to be mentioned for those that are more familiar. But it was my first day with this stuff.

To use the fastboot oem boot command, you have to be in android-sdk-windows/tools in the command prompt. I was not, and couldn't figure out why fastboot oem boot wasn't working. I was pretty flustered though after apparently bricking my phone.

Upvote 0
i do have the original nandroid backup, thankfully... i appreciate you checking in, hopefully i won't need to contact you, but in case i do...thanks. yeah, the fastboot thing was a life saver. i was considering just using the phone this way for a while then smashing it and getting a new one for 100 bucks---insurance. but i'm glad i can actually fix it. i was talking to someone else who's a 'premier member...' i told him they need to take that stick down or get rid of that damn link until there's a better fix.

Upvote 0
Another thing I did, not sure if you actually need to or not.

But after I got my phone booted up with fastboot oem boot, I was freaking out so much that I unplugged it from my computer after it fully booted and sense loaded up. Just to see if the phone still worked. It did at that point for me. Then I plugged it back in to the pc.

Oh, one other thing, if I remember correctly, after doing the fastboot oem boot, under Settings > Applications > Development, USB debugging had been unchecked after the fastboot oem boot. I had to recheck that, then plug it back in to my pc.

Double check to make sure usb debugging is still checked.

I literally the first time went through the exact steps on this site to root the phone, after I got the "enjoy the shell" message I continued on with

Code:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd /system/bin
cat sh > su
chmod 4775 su
And followed the rest of the steps from that point on.

Upvote 0
here is a question.. is there a nandroid backup somewhere out there for us to download? in case someone like me may have accidentally deleted it.. hahahah.. not saying i did.. ok.. i may have.. just curious..

On the page I linked to earlier, in the second post there is a link to a non-rooted nandroid backup.

Right under

-------------------------------------------------------------
100% Stock Configuration Work Around
-------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is just to be used for the last steps though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones