• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Putting VillainROM 12 on an Orange branded Hero.

matt1971

Lurker
Oct 30, 2009
Hi,

I followed the guide to the letter (goldcarded) and received the Network locked screen after installing the HTC ROM ending 405.5 and receiving the updates for 2.1. By the way my Hero is Orange branded with Orange SIM and the product number is 99HHM022-00

Apart from waiting for Orange to release the update, whats my options? Read through numerous threads, but I'm confused whether an unlock code would work or whether its just better to bite the bullet and go for a Villain ROM that allows apps to install to SD cards.

IF I was to go for a Villian ROM would that contain a compatible radio for my Orange phone, and would the Villain ROM work on my Orange branded Hero by just following their guide? I dont really want to have to wipe my phone again if its not going to work, so was just asking you guys for advice?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Hi,

I followed the guide to the letter (goldcarded) and received the Network locked screen after installing the HTC ROM ending 405.5 and receiving the updates for 2.1. By the way my Hero is Orange branded with Orange SIM and the product number is 99HHM022-00

Apart from waiting for Orange to release the update, whats my options? Read through numerous threads, but I'm confused whether an unlock code would work or whether its just better to bite the bullet and go for a Villain ROM that allows apps to install to SD cards.

IF I was to go for a Villian ROM would that contain a compatible radio for my Orange phone, and would the Villain ROM work on my Orange branded Hero by just following their guide? I dont really want to have to wipe my phone again if its not going to work, so was just asking you guys for advice

Well, as for buying an unlock code, I wouldn't recommend it. Although I have heard a few mentions that it might work, the fact of the matter is that your phone isn't locked. It's just confused because of the radio. So there's no guarantee it wont get confused again some time down the line.

You can mix and match radios + firmware when using custom firmware, so you can always install one of the Orange friendly radios and Villain12. That will work just fine, though it will involve wiping your phone again like you say.

Reactions: matt1971
Upvote 0
You can mix and match radios + firmware when using custom firmware, so you can always install one of the Orange friendly radios and Villain12. That will work just fine, though it will involve wiping your phone again like you say.

Many thanks for your reply.

Just checked and re-read the Villain ROM site, and the radio NEVER comes with the ROM. So, in theory if I was to install the Villian ROM, then I shouldnt receive the "Network Locked" message because I wont have updated the radio - Am I right or viewing it too simply?

Sorry for another question, Matt

Upvote 0
I've moved this to it's own thread in the rooting section; don't want to send the debranding thread off topic :)

Yes, that's right. Unlike official firmwares, custom firmwares never contain radios. So you can flash Villain and keep your working radio.

There are newer radios (compared to yours) that don't trigger the network lock bug and may give a better signal, but that's something you can always update later. (Like I said, they are entirely separate to the firmware).

Upvote 0
Hey Matt,

I also have an Orange branded Hero and I've managed to use 2 versions of Villain ROM now.

I originally followed the below guide on these forums to originally install Villain ROM 10 I believe and recently upgraded to Villain Rom 12 and my phone has worked just fine on the Orange network each time.

I've never touched the radio though, just put in the custom firmware and haven't encountered the problems you've mentioned.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-hero/54802-how-root-install-custom-rom-backup-more.html

Not sure if this helps or not as I'm still quite new to all this stuff myself but I followed that guide to the letter, without touching the radio stuff mentioned in it and my Orange branded Hero works just great.

Upvote 0
Instantroot is only necessary if you want to use the Titanium Backup app to backup your apps. There are plenty of other backup apps (e.g. Astro, MyBackup) that can do this without root access, but they won't save your settings and so on for each app where TB would.

Otherwise, flashrec is all you'll need.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones