• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Quake 2 on Android

Odd that it won't even work on a nexus one, I assumed if it'll work on my hero it'll work on pretty much anything!

And there's a quake 3 thread? I'll keep an eye out for that one!

Yeah.. It is odd. It must have something to do with the way the rendering is done.

Soon as it starts and is playing on its own before you touch the screen to start there is TONS of artifacts.
(Not just my phone but my wifes stock Nexus One)

After you touch the screen to start it just goes dim and locks up. :mad:

Upvote 0
Great work on this port so far! I'm really looking forward to the possibilities for sure. I didn't see anyone else post about using it on the backflip, so I guess I'll be the first. I get between 7 and 14 fps and it looks pretty nice. So far, no sound, I don't think, but otherwise not bad. It would be nice if the "Backtrack" on the backflip could be used for aiming, but I don't expect code to be made just for that one phone. Maybe it functions the same as many phones' trackballs? Who know, but it would be quite nice to see one day.

I really need to get the controls down, because I just can't get the hang of it. Will practice more and maybe tweak some things and update later on.

Keep up the good work!

Upvote 0
An awesome project so far, i'm impressed. However...

I downloaded 1.8 on my HTC Incredible, as well as the demo .pak. So far so good. However when I go to play it there are several issues:
- The levels do not have any textures (you only see shaded triangles) but the weapons, enemies, and barrels are fine.
- The game also slows to a crawl whenever there are explosions or lots of weapon fire (possible related to lighting).
- The HUD is messed up in that you don't see ammo or any icons, and the main menu is broken because there are no images on screen... you can navigate you can't see what you have selected.
- Lastly, the sound is somewhat broken... the demo starts without sound and seemingly randomly the sound will start up at some point later.

I really hope you'll be able to fix these issues because I would love to give the game a go.

Upvote 0
An awesome project so far, i'm impressed. However...

I downloaded 1.8 on my HTC Incredible, as well as the demo .pak. So far so good. However when I go to play it there are several issues:
- The levels do not have any textures (you only see shaded triangles) but the weapons, enemies, and barrels are fine.
- The game also slows to a crawl whenever there are explosions or lots of weapon fire (possible related to lighting).
- The HUD is messed up in that you don't see ammo or any icons, and the main menu is broken because there are no images on screen... you can navigate you can't see what you have selected.
- Lastly, the sound is somewhat broken... the demo starts without sound and seemingly randomly the sound will start up at some point later.

I really hope you'll be able to fix these issues because I would love to give the game a go.
Yea there are issues with the Incredible. It should run this game better than any phone out. It ran better on my Eris. It looks like Julien has stopped working on development for now. He has not posted on here since 2/2. It really is a bummer, this game has so much promise and I was so looking forward to playing on my Incredible.

Upvote 0
I tried this on my Desire earlier (using the demo .pak) and upon loading it just seems to go in to demo mode and plays by itself, when I touch the screen it just goes blank, I'm so keen to get it working (as it seems other Desire owners have) so if I'm just being stupid and missing something obvious please tell me.

Great work on what you've done so far though :)

Upvote 0
Anyone getting "stuck keys" on this? On my 2.1 Moto Droid, it'll play perfectly fine for a while and then one of the controls gets locked up (almost always seems to be "forward" or "back") and I'm stuck perpetually moving in that direction (it will respond to another direction but if I let go it returns to moving in the stuck direction).

I deleted the config file to default all the controls but it still does it.

Upvote 0
Anyone getting "stuck keys" on this? On my 2.1 Moto Droid, it'll play perfectly fine for a while and then one of the controls gets locked up (almost always seems to be "forward" or "back") and I'm stuck perpetually moving in that direction (it will respond to another direction but if I let go it returns to moving in the stuck direction).

I deleted the config file to default all the controls but it still does it.

Okay, I figured this out, the accelerometer was enabled. Doh! Fordward and back tilt is definitely a misfeature on the droid. I like the side to looking, though. Guess, I'll look at the config file and see if just front/back pedal with tilt can be disabled.

Upvote 0
I REALLY hope the dev. gets back on it, this game was amazing back when it was released, and I still remember it. Countless hours spent playing. I would honestly not care one BIT paying $10 for this if it ever gets finished and published on the market with online multi-player.

-edit-
Just tried it on my new Evo, the FPS is fine until the first explosion and blood comes on the intro demo video. After I tap the screen to get to the main menu, it locks up. Even with eco mode on, and no sound. Lots of little artifacts appearing on the screen as the demo goes through as well.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, i own a Samsung Galaxy S..i am unable to use the controls at all..i saw the "How to Control.." file also..firstly, there aint no dpad on my galaxy s.and secondly it just plays the video..gets the menu..and then dsnt let me select new game option at all...tried to touch everywhere on the screen..also tried to tilt the phone..nothing worked..hellpppppppp

Upvote 0
I tried it on desire, a bit laggy and the same problem as a few others about how to get out of the video demo. Try draging across the screen from left side to right. Or tap the screen randomly. I got it working but i can't see the FPS and i believe that the resolution of the game comes "out" of the screen, i.e. to big to see the FPS/start game button.

Upvote 0
Runs extremely smoothly on my Droid X. It's at 60fps most of the time. Probably 3-4x faster than my Incredible. Very cool.

Sheesh, this game brings back memory of my senior year in HS. Dguy, are you sure it's 60? did you run the timedemo? The game is also extremely smooth for me on my Galaxy S Vibrant. I'm probably getting a 70-100 fps if you're getting 60. I used WIFI Keyboard. Yeah, I can't move with the mouse but I can enter a game :) I opened up DM17 with 8 bots and the phone just delivers. Awesome GPU.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones