• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Quest for the tightest thinnest EVO Case

you could also check out the rocket fish high gloss silicone cases they have at best buy.

Attachments

• Evo1.jpg
    Evo1.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 461
  • Evo3.jpg
    Evo3.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 464
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
dude this is nice. i'm gonna have to go check this out tomorrow. hope they have some in.

edit: bad review =/
YouTube - Review: RocketFish Silicone Case for the HTC EVO 4G

the high gloss is the same, right? is it loose on the sides like in the vid?
no way, that's a different case. there are two at best buy. the one i got has a sku of rf-wr542 and it's super tight. it's more like the epik case
YouTube - Epik Soft Crystal Gel Case for BlackBerry Tour 9630 Review
i will warn you that the power and volume rocker are kind of hard to press -- i have to press in with my finger nail. i've read some suggestions that said to take some electric tape and layer it into the slots of the power button/volume rocker switches on the case.

Attachments

• Evo2.jpg
    Evo2.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 0
no way, that's a different case. there are two at best buy. the one i got has a sku of rf-wr542 and it's super tight. it's more like the epik case
i will warn you that the power and volume rocker are kind of hard to press -- i have to press in with my finger nail. i've read some suggestions that said to take some electric tape and layer it into the slots of the power button/volume rocker switches on the case.

Dude that case is hot, anyway we could get some more pictures. Maybe a review.:D

Thanks

Upvote 0
Dude that case is hot, anyway we could get some more pictures. Maybe a review.:D

Thanks
i just took a bunch of pictures and uploaded them here:
Pictures by KingGrimlock - Photobucket
i hope you find it useful. i even took a picture of the box it comes in as well as a few pictures next to the high gloss droid incredible case that verizon sells. i tried to take as many pictures of the ports as i could to give you a better idea.

brief review:
- like i said before, it's very hard to press the power and volume rocker. best buy mobile has a good return policy though. also, definitely try out the electrical tape trick i mentioned.
- it's very stiff. more so than any of the high gloss cases i've used (note: i've only tried the epik case and the verizon high gloss case). the epik cases i've used have all been pretty flexible (like the one in the youtube video i linked). this case is flexible too but you can tell that it's made out of a sturdier material.
- it's also a lot shinier than any of the other high gloss cases i've used -- it gives the impression that it's a hard plastic case in pictures.
- not being able to press the volume rocker and power button isn't an issue for me. one issue i have with this case is that it only comes in black. i like my accessories flamboyant!
- another issue is the price. the case is $20.99 while the epik case is only $5.99 with $1.99 flat rate shipping anywhere in the world (2-3 day shipping in the usa). as of right now, there aren't any epik cases for the evo though.
- if you're putting the case on with a screen protector on your phone, make sure the screen protector is dry, or else the case will squeeze the edges/corners of your screen protector up.

Upvote 0
Does the high gloss case lift the back enough to keep the camera lens off a hard surface, if set on the back? Thanks!
Yes it does. I dont own one but did try it on at the store. I liked the fit and feel, but I literally could NOT press the volume down button, no matter what I tried. Volume up and power were doable but not easily. Those were deal breakers for me, but otherwise its a good case.

Reactions: reeder
Upvote 0
i just took a bunch of pictures and uploaded them here:
Pictures by KingGrimlock - Photobucket
i hope you find it useful. i even took a picture of the box it comes in as well as a few pictures next to the high gloss droid incredible case that verizon sells. i tried to take as many pictures of the ports as i could to give you a better idea.

brief review:
- like i said before, it's very hard to press the power and volume rocker. best buy mobile has a good return policy though. also, definitely try out the electrical tape trick i mentioned.
- it's very stiff. more so than any of the high gloss cases i've used (note: i've only tried the epik case and the verizon high gloss case). the epik cases i've used have all been pretty flexible (like the one in the youtube video i linked). this case is flexible too but you can tell that it's made out of a sturdier material.
- it's also a lot shinier than any of the other high gloss cases i've used -- it gives the impression that it's a hard plastic case in pictures.
- not being able to press the volume rocker and power button isn't an issue for me. one issue i have with this case is that it only comes in black. i like my accessories flamboyant!
- another issue is the price. the case is $20.99 while the epik case is only $5.99 with $1.99 flat rate shipping anywhere in the world (2-3 day shipping in the usa). as of right now, there aren't any epik cases for the evo though.
- if you're putting the case on with a screen protector on your phone, make sure the screen protector is dry, or else the case will squeeze the edges/corners of your screen protector up.

That looks sweeeet!

Does the high gloss case lift the back enough to keep the camera lens off a hard surface, if set on the back? Thanks!

?same question?

Also, is it too sticky? I usually don't dig silicone cases because they stick, but if this has a nice surface and is firm enough, I might go for it.

Upvote 0
Got that RocketFish case from Best Buy and cant use the power button or volume keys for nothing. Its an absolute terriffic case but it usueless since you cant turn it on. Debating cutting out the piece where the power button and volume keys are.

Edit: I did the tape thing and it worked for the power button. Have not tried the volume button yet.

Upvote 0
Got that RocketFish case from Best Buy and cant use the power button or volume keys for nothing. Its an absolute terriffic case but it usueless since you cant turn it on. Debating cutting out the piece where the power button and volume keys are.

Edit: I did the tape thing and it worked for the power button. Have not tried the volume button yet.

Can you post the SKU# from BB?

and any pics or videos you might have of the case?

thanks

Upvote 0
The SKU is RF-WR542 . Its listed as Soft Shell Case. the one you dont want is listed as Silicon Case.

I dont have anything to take video other then the EVO itself so thats no help and its the same case as the pictures posted by KingGrimlock. You cant see the tape under it so theres no difference

and also I put the tape on the volume keys part and it also works now. Esentially what i did was cut a piece of black duct tape the size of the power button but twice as big. fold in half and put over the inside of the power button part of case and then cut a small piece of black duct tape to put over that to hold it. did the same for the volume.

The problem with this case is that the part of the case where the power button and volume buttons are , its raised . so theres a tiny space there that needs to be filled up with something. Some genius made a goof with this one. BUT this small tiny fix makes this the ultimate case.

Can you post the SKU# from BB?

and any pics or videos you might have of the case?

thanks

Reactions: tomhagen
Upvote 0
The SKU is RF-WR542 . Its listed as Soft Shell Case. the one you dont want is listed as Silicon Case.

I dont have anything to take video other then the EVO itself so thats no help and its the same case as the pictures posted by KingGrimlock. You cant see the tape under it so theres no difference

and also I put the tape on the volume keys part and it also works now. Esentially what i did was cut a piece of black duct tape the size of the power button but twice as big. fold in half and put over the inside of the power button part of case and then cut a small piece of black duct tape to put over that to hold it. did the same for the volume.

The problem with this case is that the part of the case where the power button and volume buttons are , its raised . so theres a tiny space there that needs to be filled up with something. Some genius made a goof with this one. BUT this small tiny fix makes this the ultimate case.

Thanks. Is there like a 9-digit sku, not the model #...?

Is very firm? I really dont dig the silicone floppyness

Upvote 0
I just got the same case (shiny - not flimsy silicon case) at BB today. It does seem to fit tightly and I can work the power button and volume buttons if I concentrate on position and press very hard. I was considering using a scalpel to cut holes where those buttons are - I will try the tape trick first. I did not like the feel of the platinum case and my sprint store was out of body gloves. The case is kind of grippy - which I like. I will try to post pictures. HEre are some pictures of the Best Buy shiny case - not great (taken from my touch pro)

Attachments

• evo 2.jpg
    evo 2.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 321
  • evo 3.jpg
    evo 3.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 247
  • evo 4.jpg
    evo 4.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0
I just got the same case (shiny - not flimsy silicon case) at BB today. It does seem to fit tightly and I can work the power button and volume buttons if I concentrate on position and press very hard. I was considering using a scalpel to cut holes where those buttons are - I will try the tape trick first. I did not like the feel of the platinum case and my sprint store was out of body gloves. The case is kind of grippy - which I like. I will try to post pictures.

nice. I might try to go to BB tomorrow, the one I was at today didn't have it.

Does it keep the phone from resting on the surface?

Upvote 0
Yes it does. I dont own one but did try it on at the store. I liked the fit and feel, but I literally could NOT press the volume down button, no matter what I tried. Volume up and power were doable but not easily. Those were deal breakers for me, but otherwise its a good case.

i agree with this. taking mine back. it was really bad imo. i even tried electrical tape and it's just not worth it lol. for $20 bucks, it should be a good case. nice fit but rocketfish messed up with the buttons.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones