• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Question about Facebook Sync.

I too have been annoyed with the non-updating Facebook photo "bug". I really only care to update them for a few of my closer friends, but I was just fiddling with my phone while reading this thread and I sort of figured it out.

To update another contact's Facebook photo, follow these steps (altough I think it only works if the person has a Google photo associated to them, or possibly just another assigned to the linked contact):

1. Make sure the linked contact is displaying the Facebook photo.

2. While viewing the contact touch "Linked" at the top right.

3. De-link the Facebook contact and press "Done", this should leave the Facebook photo associated with the Google contact.

4. You should still be on the "Link" page. Touch the photo and choose "Remove photo".

5. You should get brought back to the "Link" page. Touch Facebook and find the contact to re-link. If the Facebook photo is missing it should update quickly with the new profile photo. Otherwise force a sync to your Facebook account and it should update.

Both of the contacts I updated this way have photos assigned to their Google accounts, and when I tried this method with linked contacts that only had Facebook photos the "Remove photo" option never appeared.

Edit: figured out updating your contact card photo:

Update profile photo on Facebook, manually force your Facebook account to sync on your phone, select your contact card > menu > edit, touch the photo to bring up "Select photo" option, then choose Facebook. It should re-download the photo and will update. Try again from the sync step if it doesn't update.

Upvote 0
I'm having the opposite problem. I chose all the photos and saved them in my google contacts before getting the phone (I like seeing the photos I chose - creature of habit - and easier for me at least to find the person that way by photo)

But I have turned off facebook completely on the phone because even after I tell it to use the google photo....it stays for about 5 min and then defaults back to the facebook photo.

Even if I dont' have contact syncing enabled.

I have this same problem. The weird thing is, it isn't all of my facebook friends, just some of them. And not even just the ones that updated their status. I don't really want to cut the link to facebook altogether, but this is getting annoying.

Anybody else notice this, and more importantly, anybody know how to fix this without turning off facebook completely?

Upvote 0
I too have been annoyed with the non-updating Facebook photo "bug". I really only care to update them for a few of my closer friends, but I was just fiddling with my phone while reading this thread and I sort of figured it out.

To update another contact's Facebook photo, follow these steps (altough I think it only works if the person has a Google photo associated to them, or possibly just another assigned to the linked contact):

1. Make sure the linked contact is displaying the Facebook photo.

2. While viewing the contact touch "Linked" at the top right.

3. De-link the Facebook contact and press "Done", this should leave the Facebook photo associated with the Google contact.

4. You should still be on the "Link" page. Touch the photo and choose "Remove photo".

5. You should get brought back to the "Link" page. Touch Facebook and find the contact to re-link. If the Facebook photo is missing it should update quickly with the new profile photo. Otherwise force a sync to your Facebook account and it should update.

Both of the contacts I updated this way have photos assigned to their Google accounts, and when I tried this method with linked contacts that only had Facebook photos the "Remove photo" option never appeared.

Edit: figured out updating your contact card photo:

Update profile photo on Facebook, manually force your Facebook account to sync on your phone, select your contact card > menu > edit, touch the photo to bring up "Select photo" option, then choose Facebook. It should re-download the photo and will update. Try again from the sync step if it doesn't update.

Hmm tried this and still no luck! I did the sequence multiple times. the only way i got it to work was uninstall and reinstall facebook HTC sense. But it is kind of a pain as all my contacts didn't automatically link (not all names are exactly the same) I hope they fix this soon!

Upvote 0
ive had that problem on my droid. Not sure how your contact list looks with sense, but if it integrates anything like the droid does, what i ended up having to do for the contacts that just wouldnt update, was go into the contact itself and click on the facebook page for that contact, simply doing that would take you to there facebook info and that would refresh the picture for me. Pain in the ass but it works....

Upvote 0
thats disapointing. maybe it will get improved later. there was an option for facebook on BB to just refresh all user content. it was something you had to do manually. but if i noticed a friend of mine changed their photo i would goto my phone and click update and within a few secounds all my photos would be updated. of course now that i have this phone i doubt i will be going to the site on a computer any time soon... it seems like i can do anything from my phone now.

Upvote 0
I emailed HTC. They didn't respond...it's been 3 days.

I just got off the phone with HTC and they weren't much help. The rep went through some troubleshooting on the phone I already went through (removing then reapplying a link, resyncing all Facebook contacts, etc). He suggested that my friends who have pictures that don't update may have a security setting on Facebook that prevents the new picture from uploading. I went through my own security settings on Facebook and couldn't find anything like that. I even pointed out that if such a setting exists I wouldn't have been able to receive a profile picture in the first place. I was simply told to talk to those friends whose pictures don't update and ask them if they have "that setting" on. If so, to call back HTC and let them know.

In other words, go try this so you can leave us alone now and can just bother us later.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones