• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Question about RAM

RAM is essential to any computer,this statement could no be any farther off,try multitasking,running a game or a watching video without it, then come back with this statement.

But the amount of free RAM on an android device is not as vital. He may not have said it in the best way, but the way the Android OS handles multitasking means you want less free RAM, it will free up the RAM it needs when it needs it.

Android uses RAM much differently than say a Windows OS. It caches the most commonly used apps so that you can multitask better and so they launch faster. It will kill those cached apps when it needs the RAM for something else.

On this device you don't need to worry about having "only" 125mb of RAM free.

Edit: I also moved this to it's own post as the amount of RAM available is a different issue that the internal memory issue in the original thread.

Upvote 0
But the amount of free RAM on an android device is not as vital. He may not have said it in the best way, but the way the Android OS handles multitasking means you want less free RAM, it will free up the RAM it needs when it needs it.

there's a rub there. you assume that the OS has loaded all the programs that it anticipates you might need based on some intellegence, but if you ask for a program that isn't loaded, you experience a penalty as it unloads and loads the program you do want. and that is just the programs, what about program data?

I often go in to a task manager to look at what is running, and wonder how Froyo made the decisions it did to load and keep in memory what it did. And after cleaning caches and shooting programs, I'm amazed that bizzare behaviors are often tamed and performance improves.

Upvote 0
there's a rub there. you assume that the OS has loaded all the programs that it anticipates you might need based on some intellegence, but if you ask for a program that isn't loaded, you experience a penalty as it unloads and loads the program you do want. and that is just the programs, what about program data?

I often go in to a task manager to look at what is running, and wonder how Froyo made the decisions it did to load and keep in memory what it did. And after cleaning caches and shooting programs, I'm amazed that bizzare behaviors are often tamed and performance improves.

First, the OP is NOT running Froyo, HUGE difference between Froyo and CM7

As said at xda.developers with CM7
"Apps stay asleep in ram and don't run, this just means they don't have to be reloaded and are saved in the position they are in when you left them... this is the pseudo multi-tasking. If it's not slow, don't mess with it......anything post froyo has absolutely no need for a task killer."

Upvote 0
First, the OP is NOT running Froyo, HUGE difference between Froyo and CM7

anything post froyo has absolutely no need for a task killer

Sorry, missed that part. :eek:

I wouldn't know the behaviors on CM7, although I might be going there soon. :cool:

I must be one of the last holdouts expecting Motorola and VMUSA/Sprint to do right by their customers and release a patch or update. In CM7:
Is the overall memory management better than Froyo?
Does the GPS work?
How about Bluetooth?
And the amassing .alog files - that problem doesn't exist right?

Upvote 0
Sorry, missed that part. :eek:

I wouldn't know the behaviors on CM7, although I might be going there soon. :cool:

I must be one of the last holdouts expecting Motorola and VMUSA/Sprint to do right by their customers and release a patch or update. In CM7:
Is the overall memory management better than Froyo?
Does the GPS work?
How about Bluetooth?
And the amassing .alog files - that problem doesn't exist right?

Yes to all, except I don't use bluetooth much, so I won't comment on that. It did work when I messed with it briefly.
I do use GPS for 12 or more hours a day (I am a truck driver) and never had a problem with it. I think 4 minutes was the longest it ever took to load and that was a long time ago. Never had the alog file problem, even on stock, but I didn't run stock long enough.

No matter what operating system I use, I never run "stock" nothing is perfect or even close, my grand kids have iphones, problems there also, every forum for "every" phone in the world you will see problems, included landlines ;). How I do life and this phone business is that you take what you have and make the best of it and with this phone CM7 is the best (CM9 is not far behind). Yes, I am a fanboy of this phone, it works great for what I need it to do, but, I also agree that Motorola/Huawei/VM should do something about it, that part pees me off.

Reactions: JarGnex
Upvote 0
Yes to all, except I don't use bluetooth much, so I won't comment on that. It did work when I messed with it briefly.
I do use GPS for 12 or more hours a day (I am a truck driver) and never had a problem with it. I think 4 minutes was the longest it ever took to load and that was a long time ago. Never had the alog file problem, even on stock, but I didn't run stock long enough.

No matter what operating system I use, I never run "stock" nothing is perfect or even close, my grand kids have iphones, problems there also, every forum for "every" phone in the world you will see problems, included landlines ;). How I do life and this phone business is that you take what you have and make the best of it and with this phone CM7 is the best (CM9 is not far behind). Yes, I am a fanboy of this phone, it works great for what I need it to do, but, I also agree that Motorola/Huawei/VM should do something about it, that part pees me off.
Pretty bold statement going on 4 months on a stock, HTC rezound with zero issues everything works as advertised.i have now owned 3 Android phones and an Iphone,did not like the Iphone,but it was working again as advertised,my V was great even running stock,just got outdated,my truimph on stock was terrible,then my Rezound,perfect from day 1 no mods,but to charge people 300 dollars for a phone with no intention of fixing the bugs is pathetic.to even compare the Truimph to a Rezound or even an Iphone is a joke,seeing they roll out updates and fixes.

Upvote 0
Pretty bold statement going on 4 months on a stock, HTC rezound with zero issues everything works as advertised.i have now owned 3 Android phones and an Iphone,did not like the Iphone,but it was working again as advertised,my V was great even running stock,just got outdated,my truimph on stock was terrible,then my Rezound,perfect from day 1 no mods,but to charge people 300 dollars for a phone with no intention of fixing the bugs is pathetic.to even compare the Truimph to a Rezound or even an Iphone is a joke,seeing they roll out updates and fixes.

LOL, yours is even bolder

GOOGLE HTC rezound problems

11,700,000 results (0.27 seconds)

After reading 12 pages, I had a beer and lmao.

I am done with this subject as I won't get into a pissing match, to old for that crap

Upvote 0
Hey guys ant android phone is gonna have problems! And plus with HTC you get sense... ewwwww ill take a closer to aosp, but I'm all about theming!

Having said that this phone has issues, some software which cm7 makes better, some of them hardware which nothing helps!

And cm7 manages memory somewhat better than froyo but they are similar
In froyo us when they revamped how the os manages paging memory. But mainly Gingerbread is just a better wrote and designed os obviously that's why its after froyo. And cm7 is even better than aosp 2.3.

But I still like my custom froyo rom! I have themed the hell out of it to get it looking like I want as I am very picky. And I've eliminated alot of bugs in it, and of course use my custom kernel which makes things more snappy.

But agent and them are right, its not memory you need yo worry about u less its super low like 30mb or something! CPU usage is much more important! Task killers are useful to easily kill resource hogging apostle. Just don't have it autokill all the time! Kill only when needed!

Upvote 0
Well I have to jump in the Wagon here..
I'm an old school OV user who switched to the MT about 3 weeks ago..

My issue is that I normally run 150~200 free on OV all the time with H2 runnen (2.3.7 cm7)..
So hoping for the same great performance I'm using the Reloaded 3/04/12 (also cm7 2.3.7) on the MT with the same apps as the OV but the MT runs 40~85 free on RAM.. WTF?..

I understand this is not the OV nor the same build cm7 as the OV H2 I'm running.
But a 100MBs in RAM loss is a big deal to me.
I say that as once I hit 50~60 the MT starts to run sluggish..
Was hoping for better performance as I'm over-clocked at 1400 with a min of 256 & an idle of 1200..

Maybe I just didn't clear/format the cache correct.
But what are some of your guys baselines on free RAM just out of cereasity?..

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Well I have to jump in the Wagon here..
I'm an old school OV user who switched to the MT about 3 weeks ago..

My issue is that I normally run 150~200 free on OV all the time with H2 runnen (2.3.7 cm7)..
So hoping for the same great performance I'm using the Reloaded 3/04/12 (also cm7 2.3.7) on the MT with the same apps as the OV but the MT runs 40~85 free on RAM.. WTF?..

I understand this is not the OV nor the same build cm7 as the OV H2 I'm running.
But a 100MBs in RAM loss is a big deal to me.
I say that as once I hit 50~60 the MT starts to run sluggish..
Was hoping for better performance as I'm over-clocked at 1400 with a min of 256 & an idle of 1200..

Maybe I just didn't clear/format the cache correct.
But what are some of your guys baselines on free RAM just out of cereasity?..

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk

My triumph is running cm7 (2.3.7) and consistently have 195-220MB of free RAM. How many apps do you have running or widgets?

Upvote 0
just close out of ur apps the right way to free up ram don't hit the home button thinking you closed the program because u didn't its still running in the background. use go launcher or something to close apps with ease if you think ram is what u need. closing apps is need if your on a slower android device. ona old android phone i had which didn't have a lot of ram i had to use go launcher to free up ram to play certain games they would really lag until i closed the programs i had running behind the scenes.

Upvote 0
My triumph is running cm7 (2.3.7) and consistently have 195-220MB of free RAM. How many apps do you have running or widgets?

Hmm-as of right now I have 231 apps.. & 6 widgets running.
The odd thing about this is my OV has more apps installed (400 range) & 10 widget's running.. Yet the OV is running the same OS version & always has 130MBs plus. Even during its most stressful day.

I went ahead & re-wiped & flashed the same ROM (cm7 reloaded -final-)..
During boot the MT runs at 170MBs (give or take 10) then quickly drops to a constant 80MBs during standby..
Then through time can hit around 23 then locks up (as its deleting cache ram) then holds near 80 again..
Then repeats with use over an hours time..

I really must not be flashing/wiping the MT correctly as RAM is an issue on my end..

As for backing out/exit apps I'm aware but thank you..
I had learned real quick how to handle the android OS as I once owned a Motorola I1 from Boost about a year ago..
Having OS 1.5 you learn rather quickly towards what you can & cannot do. Exspectly on limited RAM..

However back to the MT..
@anytyme: if you have any suggestions sense your running the same OS I would be most thankful..
Oh & the reason for getting away with all the apps is do to all my cells running Link2sd.

Thanx in advance

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones