• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Question about RAM...

soraso753

Jun 5, 2012
Ok I apologize in advance if this doesn't belong here but here's my question..

I know that android handles RAM on its own and usually the user doesn't need to intervene. What I'm confused about is the difference between a "running service" and a "cached app". I noticed that the more running services I have the slower my phone gets. Does android never close a running service even in a low memory situation?

When I deleted all the apps that run as a service my phone had zero lag. Is this normal?

Ok I apologize in advance if this doesn't belong here but here's my question..

I know that android handles RAM on its own and usually the user doesn't need to intervene. What I'm confused about is the difference between a "running service" and a "cached app". I noticed that the more running services I have the slower my phone gets. Does android never close a running service even in a low memory situation?

When I deleted all the apps that run as a service my phone had zero lag. Is this normal?

Running Service is things currently doing something, things like android system and whatnot would normally be here all the time

Cached apps are apps that the system has basically frozen, they dont take up almost and space, but there id call it paused, so you can instantly reopen the app and go

The android system should close running services by itself at low mem times, but it shouldnt kill any that it deems high priority, like the system

When you killed all the apps in the running services area, yes it would speed up your phone, but that would most likely only be temporary and may cause it to get slow in the long run, apps that run in the background as running services like google play are typically checking for updates or actually updating, if they are killed the system just restarts them and the process begins all over again, if it gets killed to often ive seen some user will get issues with it getting errors whenever it tries to update or it just no longer updating and such

Upvote 0
Oh yeah the system processes I didn't kill those. What I did kill was the Facebook app and GO Dev apps. Do you think it could be the apps themselves preventing android from closing them? Cause when I uninstalled them the phone sped up.

well an app like facebook, for me anyway, stays on there, i opened the app itself and set it to never refresh the page so it only updates it when i open the app, made it run alot better, but it still stays on my services, i havent noticed it affecting my memory

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones