• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about theming

DarthScruff

Dec 5, 2011
So there's only one singular thing I want to change, one solitary single thing haha

I want to change the bar at the bottom of the dropdown menu. That's all, nothing else, does anyone know of a guide that even has that mentioned??

I just wanna know what .apk its in and what its called.

Running IHO cm7 BACKside on Lg Optimus V if any of that makes a difference

Here is what it currently looks like

sithmaulscreen.png

So I figured since Im using the Red_Remix theme I could just edit the image used for Status Dropdown bar in the apk file. All done successfully I uninstalled the old Red_Remix and tried to install the edited one I had just finished, but it wouldnt allow me to install it to the theme chooser. Said "application not installed"

Did I recompile the apk wrong? Or is it because of the old Red_Remix tombstone or data not allowing the new version to be installed?

Upvote 0
So I figured since Im using the Red_Remix theme I could just edit the image used for Status Dropdown bar in the apk file. All done successfully I uninstalled the old Red_Remix and tried to install the edited one I had just finished, but it wouldnt allow me to install it to the theme chooser. Said "application not installed"

Did I recompile the apk wrong? Or is it because of the old Red_Remix tombstone or data not allowing the new version to be installed?

What .apk was that found in?

Easiest way I've seen to swap .pngs and .9pngs is to open the files up with 7zip. Drag the folders out onto your desktop or work folder, make the image edits. Once all the edits have been made, open the original location in the update.zip, then drag and drop the modded folders in. Then make sure you navigate the folders back out, so the archive updates. No need to decompile and recompile.

I've done this for several notification bar mods and battery icon mods, etc. Worked fine, I was on Gingerbread, haven't really had time to try and mess around with ICS stuff yet. If you have any questions please let me know. :)

Upvote 0
What .apk was that found in?

Easiest way I've seen to swap .pngs and .9pngs is to open the files up with 7zip. Drag the folders out onto your desktop or work folder, make the image edits. Once all the edits have been made, open the original location in the update.zip, then drag and drop the modded folders in. Then make sure you navigate the folders back out, so the archive updates. No need to decompile and recompile.
Thats exactly what I did, but instead of updating the framework apk of the system, i updated the apk of the theme that initially changed the status bar dropdown, cause i figured that if the theme was going to change the dropdown anyway then there is no reason to update the systems 9.png image.
I dragged the file out of the winzip and into photoshop, edited the image and dragged it back over, replaced the original and saved it. The problem is that red remix is an installable theme for theme chooser and it wont let me install the updated apk, says "application was not installed"

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
Ok, I don't have any experience with the theme chooser theme packages. I misunderstood, my apologies. I used to make update.zips for existing roms using the UOT kitchen, etc. I haven't used it in so long I'm not sure if its been updated to work with ICS/Jellybean.

You might need to try and set up the android SDK and decompile and recompile the .apks to get it to work.

Upvote 0
Thats exactly what I did, but instead of updating the framework apk of the system, i updated the apk of the theme that initially changed the status bar dropdown, cause i figured that if the theme was going to change the dropdown anyway then there is no reason to update the systems 9.png image.
I dragged the file out of the winzip and into photoshop, edited the image and dragged it back over, replaced the original and saved it. The problem is that red remix is an installable theme for theme chooser and it wont let me install the updated apk, says "application was not installed"

Using root explorer to move files around? directory mounted as r/w vice r/o? Did you change ownership and grouping back to 0-root (or whatever the original file was set to?) File permissions same as original?

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones