• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question for someone who knows a lot about rooting. Any help would be much appreciated.

bradwhut

Lurker
Oct 1, 2012
Hello! I recently purchased a china made phone, one of the MTK series. Very cheap but good phones. This phone is running android, but the maker has given it to me with an android 'skin' (?) that makes it look identical to apple operating system. there is an app store icon that takes you to play store, everything is done like apple device, even double tap home button to close apps down, and the settings is laid out like apple device. Truth be told, i dont want this! I just want normal android operating system without this apple theme / skin / whatever its called! So i spent the last few hours rooting the device, which was suprisingly difficult due to finding drivers, ect. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction of how to get rid of this apple styled OS and go to one more like my old sony phone? or a htc, samsung ect, anything but this! :D one other problem is the phone only has 256MB rom :/ and its running android 4.0 atm. Any help would be much appreciated.

Oh and i know its rooted successfully because i have SuperSU on it now, although i have no idea how to use it! sorry to be stupid, hope someone can help me :)

Sorry about the late reply, but that's part of the reason I moved your thread ;).

With the above suggestion, it sounds like they have loaded a variant of the "MIUI" ROM on it. It is a ROM built in China and has some popularity and is ported to various other Android devices, but it looks very similar an iOS.

Unfortunately, since it is a Chinese phone, there is probably next to no development for it so if you want a different ROM, you're going to have to build it yourself.

good luck

Upvote 0
I saw one of these things with Android skinned to look and work like iOS. In fact the one I was looking was a KIRF iPhone 5. Quite convincing as well, until...boom.."unfortunately the process android.process.acore has stopped" :rolleyes: ...which kind of destroys the illusion.

BTW 256MB storage sounds about right, they tend to cheap out on certain things. Only thing you can really do about that is use something like App2SD. Probably find that the camera is quite poor as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones