• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question from an android newbie

imcrobie

Lurker
Nov 4, 2009
I have just purchase my first Android phone a Desire from Hong Kong and am now using it here in New Zealand where it is yet to be released.
I have a query about how many apps I can run at once and what I can do to stop an app running.
Given that android is a multi-tasking O/S, my understanding is that I can start an app, go back to the menu and then start another app and pretty muck keep repeating this process. How then do I go to the earlier started apps and actually stop them running so they are a) not consuming systems resources and b)not going out to a data network using up my tellco bandwidth and therefore increasing my bill?
Any answers or help appreicated.
Also is there a skype type solution for my phone as I understand that skype now runs on the iphone.

1. there is a Skype client/app available in the Marketplace.
There's a few things out there it looks like: Skype Lite Beta v1.0.0.5 Application for Android | Communication

2. There is no need to "go back and close" apps. People use Advanced Task Killer, but it causes more harm than good. Android was designed to close things when they're not needed, let it do what it was designed to do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones